Solar Cover

May 21, 2014
Weston, CT
Hello All,

I'm interested in buying a solar cover for the pool this year.
We are hesitant to run the propane heater aggressively due to cost.
Will a solar cover make a significant difference in reducing heat loss?
What are the recommended brands and sources?
All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

A solar cover will definitely reduce overnight heat loss in addition to reducing evaporation. I've used several solar covers over the years. I usually get four to five seasons of moderate use out of them. As a general rule, go with a less expensive cover since they you won't get more than a few years out of them anyways. Most of the covers I've seen range from 8 mil to 16 mil. The lighter weight covers tend to blow around in the wind while the thicker covers get real heavy. I've always stayed middle of road, 10-12 mil. Color choices are generally blue or clear. I've always gone blue. I've seen a few comments saying that clear covers make the pool look dirty as they collect dust and dirt. When off the pool, keep the cover out of the sun.

I used a solar cover for the first time recently. Just to give an example of heat retention, the water temp was 87 deg when I shut the heater off around 1900 Sunday evening. The next morning at 0800, the water temp was 84 deg. That’s with air temps in 50s overnight.

Rancho is on the money. Would just check out Doheny solar covers as they are cost effective. Unless you prefer Amazon.

If you have the money, would look at getting a reel. Its extra cost but a lot of people get discouraged about taking it off and on manually and give up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.