solar cover without reel

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We've never had a solar cover but I am thinking of getting one this year. We have a kidney shaped pool that is angled in the corner of our backyard so I don't know if we have room for a reel on the ends. Before investing in a reel I was thinking of manually putting it on/off each day. How difficult is this to do and can it be done from the deck or do I need to be in the water? Will this approach shorten the life of the cover vs reel?

We have one that we put on our AGP. One person can put it on when you are in the water, you can put it on with one person without being in the water it just takes a little more time. I imagine that with an inground pool it would be easier to do without being in the water.

Rolling up a full size solar cover is a bit challenging depending on how much deck space you have. If you have a helper, it's manageable, but still challenging. It's easiest to roll or fold it up when it's on the deck. Many of us cut our covers into smaller sections. I use a 20' x 40' cover that I cut in half, lengthwise. I'm able to pull it up onto the deck, fold it lengthwise, then fold/roll it up. My pool's configuration makes it nearly impossible to use a reel.

Using a reel is really my preferred method. If you have the means to make it reel work, it will make things much easier. The reel doesn't need to be placed on the end of the pool. It will work over the middle of the pool just as well and one person should be able to do it alone. If you post some pics of your pool, others may be able to provide advice on the type of reel to use and where to place it.

I have a 27' round ABG. I am the only one who could put it on from outside the pool (I'm 6' 4" and our deck only goes around about 30% of the pool).

My wife and kids could take it off from outside or inside the pool, and they could put it back on from inside the pool (with a bit of difficulty)

I don't think it shortens the life of the cover by any appreciable amount.

I do have a reel now, and it is a lot easier (I just don't have a cover thanks to backorders)

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
(I just don't have a cover thanks to backorders)
Check with poolsupplies.com I picked one up from them in March. Prices have gone up significantly, but I received a mailer yesterday with discounted prices. Use Source Code L214DY21 at checkout. I tested it with a 27' 1200 series cover. Price went from $260 to $200. Still expensive, but it shows in stock.

Check with poolsupplies.com I picked one up from them in March. Prices have gone up significantly, but I received a mailer yesterday with discounted prices. Use Source Code L214DY21 at checkout. I tested it with a 27' 1200 series cover. Price went from $260 to $200. Still expensive, but it shows in stock.
Thanks, but Doheny's already took my money, and they do send me emails to tell me it is still out of stock. They also asked me to give a review.

I paid around the same amount for mine.

Didn't drop my price on a 20'x45' 1200 cover at all. But did save me $10.95 handling fee. I guess that's still a savings.

I love how the Doheny's solar covers do some serious number inflation with 1600 as the starter series number, 2400 midrange, 3200 top end....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.