Solar Controller and Above Ground Pool

I also forgot to ask something...how many panels are you running? JLs comment way back in the thread may eliminate your need to switch if you only have a couple of panels. What size and brand panel do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WCunha said:
Dave I didn't want to bother you but I looked around and I could not find a wiring diagram for what I want to do. Could you get me one? I even asked Hayward and they never got back to me.
Here you go. I finally got around to drawing one up. This will allow the pump to run on low all the time until the GL-2235 calls for solar and then it will switch to high. Once the GL-235 stops calling for heat, the pump will switch back to low.

[attachment=0:1z8ltuoo]GL-235 with Relay.jpg[/attachment:1z8ltuoo]

Attachments

• GL-235 with Relay.jpg
    GL-235 with Relay.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 45
Just a heavy duty relay. If you can find one rated for motor duty it would be best. I drew a DPDT because they're usually easier to find than a SPDT, but if you do find a SPDT just disregard the other half of the relay that isn't used anyway.

Grainger has a Dayton 5X847 that's rated at 30 amp inductive. They also have a 5Z542 SPDT that's rated the same. There are lots of others too.

Take a look at the RIB2401 relay family, I am using a RIB2401SBC which has manual override switches, the nice thing about these RIB relays is they are mounted in a small box and have a 3/4 inch threaded stub connector so the are easy to fit to most electrical boxes.

Ike

Attachments

• RIB2401SBC.jpg
    RIB2401SBC.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 44
In theory yes, the top switch is auto / manual, bottom switch is in theory a 3 way NO=NC, Off, NC=NC however for some reason the way I have mine set up it will only switch off or high in manual mode, may be a defective 3 way switch, I don't really care though since I can't see a situation where I would need to override the solar to go on low.

My pump is indoors in a mechanical room, so I was not concerned about weatherproof installation, so it is just connected to one of the spare knock outs on the side of my Aquasolar controller box. For outdoor use you could probably put it inside a small J box or an outlet box with a cover the flips up. Depending on your installation the plain 2401 without switches may work fine, in my case it just makes for a quick way to switch the pump to high when the solar is off.

Attachments

• aquasolar.jpg
    aquasolar.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 175

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.