Solar Breeze ?

SteveK52

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2019
Taylors South Carolina
I am trying to find a skimmer for the top of our pool and came across Solar Breeze. Looks pretty pricey. We have problems with the neighbors mowing their lawns when the wind is blowing and the fine clippings ending up in the pool. Also, a lot of pollen in the spring. Are the filters fine enough to trap the pollen. Any thoughts on the Solar Breeze or something similar? Thanks in advance.
Steve

@Katodude should have some thoughts

I would read the thread that Allen linked you to, that pretty much summarizes my thoughts.

As for pollen, I dont get much in south Florida so I cant tell you practically, however, the net is a very fine metal mesh that should catch it. Mine catches some very fine particulates.

Steve, I have the same problems, although the grass in my pool is mostly from my own mowing and trimming. Wax Myrtle leaves, tiny flowers from Holly trees, Esperanza flowers...the list goes on and on, plus periodic raining flying ants. If I run my pump slower than 1650 RPM, there's just not enough water movement to suck in that stuff. Here are the solar powered surface skimmers I've found. I've not bought one...yet. Solar Breeze seems to be the most common. Amazingly, the people who seem to like that one quite a bit are the same ones who talk of its poor reliability and longevity. I'd really like to hear from someone who says, "I've had the so and so model for five years, and it's still going strong." Several of these can also be seen on YouTube. Of course on YouTube you're seeing a brand new unit work, not a three year old one. Anyway, here are the ones I've found: Skim Devil, Solar Breeze NX2, SolaSkimmer, Skim King, SkimBot.

BTW, skimmer socks do at least keep all that stuff from getting to the main filter. Most of the year, I'm using disposable hair nets, but spring requires real skimmer socks plus daily cleaning to do the job right.

Update I see NX2 at Amazon for $498 plus $76 for "3 year extended warranty." Description says the Asurion warranty picks up where the mfrs warranty ends, but it is not clear that it is 3 years after the mfrs warranty or three years including the 1st year by the mfr. Also, reviews of the Asurion plan are a mix of negative reviews and positive reviews that sound fake. Pretty much all the solar skimmers manufacturers offer only 1 year warranty, which suggests a couple things: one that physics and chemistry are barriers to a long life for this kind of product, or two that there are just no high quality manufacturers in this field of pool equipment. I'm almost tempted, but I'd like to hear about real people's experience with Asurion. I've had extended plans from Home Depot that turned out to be worthless. Just more profit for Home Depot.
Another update. Skimking.com seems to be vaporware. No info on the site other than a video. Email to [email protected] bounces as no such mailbox.

Last edited:
I cant speak for the other models but I would guess a similar statement would be true. I cannot imagine one of these would ever last 5 years. Now I do live in south Florida where the sun is brutal and my pool gets full sun all day. Also my pool is open all year so basically it sits in my pool 24/7/365. Also the unit bangs into the tile a lot as it moves around the pool. That is just the way it works, but that can be easy on it.

If you can get an extended warranty for it that you trust I would say go for it. That is probably your best bet. I am hoping that between the credit card extension and the 2 year warranty I got from the manufacturer that will be enough.

But even if I had to replace it every 3 years out of my own pocket, I would still own one. I get a lot of debris in my pool and the skimmers just dont cut it.

I have ordered one that will be here next week, I will have an additional 1 year on the warranty from my credit card. I am hoping to only need to use it during pollen season and when the neighbors lawns get mowed. Thanks for all your help.
Steve
Can you give us a review once you get it? Well, I guess after a few weeks/months of usage would probably be more viable. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing to consider is the shape of your pool. The more round or free form the better. The Solar Breeze does not like corners, and we have a LOT of corners 12 to be exact. It still works great, but it would be better if we just had a square or a free form pool.

I ordered a solaskimmer for 350 from Costco. Will let you know how it goes. Their website says they recently, as of January, updated the components to be more durable. Who knows if that pans out, but I’m pretty sure I get 2 extra years of warranty w my Costco card so if I got 3 years out of it I’d be ok with that.

Definitely report back on the Solaskimmer would love to know options other than the SolarBreeze. I like the fact that it has a charging plug. My pool gets sun all day so no issue here, but others might not.

They key item on these is durability and making sure you buy from a reputable place. Costco is a great place to buy stuff from since they will honor the warranty really well.

I bought the original solar breeze when it first came out and then traded it in for the newer NX2 model which had several improvements, but I did buy their extended warranty and glad I did. last year, after noticing a structural problem that could not be repaired,they sent me a brand new one @ no charge due to the warranty.

I’m on year 3 of the NX2. Love it. I’ve had to modify it a bit to keep from getting stuck under ledges/skimmers and it requires the pool level to be just right. The pvc pipes do the trick, but it took some trial and error. I will be happy to get 3 seasons out of it. I have LOTS of trees that put out all kinds of debris. I’d be lost without it.

Attachments

• C959D93E-AAF0-4D12-84FC-CDDB13BA1DE3.jpeg
    C959D93E-AAF0-4D12-84FC-CDDB13BA1DE3.jpeg
    622 KB · Views: 34
  • E0AD6CF2-7EA3-4B82-84F1-49B3FFEA795C.jpeg
    E0AD6CF2-7EA3-4B82-84F1-49B3FFEA795C.jpeg
    602.5 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Sanford35000
This is my 4th year with Solar Breeze NX. Did not turn on this year, so 3 years for $500 is just too much for what it does. It's nice and picks up plenty of stuff, but 10 minutes with a good pool rake is much more reliable, faster, and cheaper. You'll be scooping up stuff the skimmer doesn't get anyways. I think I'm going to buy a 40" rake rather than repairing the SB. I also have a Poolskim, which does a great job skimming.

I have 5 oak trees so pollen, acorns, and leaves are an issue. I covered the pool with solar sail material, on top of 2x4's, so cover was above water. Easy to blow off with leaf blower. Just removed today (after pollen season). Barely anything in pool. Much nicer than bubble wrap stuff I was using prior years.

On my 8th year with Aquabot Breeze 4WD. Best tool gadget I've bought. Still going strong, picks up everything on the bottom. Fine dust included.

Obviously everyone will have a slightly different experience. If I don’t run mine in the spring and fall, I have at least 20 minutes of skimming to do when I get home. And then again every couple hours. Lots of tree debris, especially from the elms. In the spring the tree blooms stick to the tile and it’s a mess. Then I get to deal with the stuff that goes to the bottom too. $500/3 years (165/yr) is definitely worth every dollar for me.

Looks like they have a maintenance package for $159. They will fix it up, replace anything that's bad, and give it a year warrantee. That seems reasonable after 3 or 4 years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.