West Palm Beach/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am half temped to get this, but my NX2 is still working fine.

I will call them today and see how improved it actually is.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I've thought about it several times. I wonder how this device does in an area with constant wind from the same direction. 10 months a year, anything that floats in my pool goes to the north end.

Its pretty windy where I live and it seems to move about just fine. I think the new one has more powerful motors. Also it steers around unlike the current model. Still waiting to speak with them.

Reactions: livinwell
I really want one and every year I think about it. It is always windy here and I fight a ton of organic debris that blows in the pool.

My hubby hates anything floating in the pool when he is swimming so it would be in and out of the pool all summer long.

I am half temped to get this, but my NX2 is still working fine.

I will call them today and see how improved it actually is.

@Katodude
Did you ever hear back from them?
I'm still jealous that you have the NX2 AND a Dolphin (both of which I would like to add). And now they have the Ariel. A bit pricey but would really like to see if its worth it.
Thanks!!
r.

Not yet. They have been a little hard to reach lately. I actually expect to talk with them soon. I need to send the NX2 back for a little repair. I mentioned that I want to have a conversation about the new model.

So, I have not been able to speak to anybody, but have emailed with their customer support. They gave me a bunch of esoteric differences, and some important ones, but the primary differences for me are.

There are replacing their gear system with direct drive motors. This is important since the gear systems is the primary point of failure on the all the old model Solar Breezes. At least they have been for me. In fact mine is going back now for a warranty repair for that very issue now.

The Ariel can now steer. Before there were wheels that caused it to bounce around as it hit the walls. Now it can maneuver. Those wheels were also a big point of failure as well, as they were gear driven. They would also lose their stickiness over time which causes the NX2 to get stuck more. This is not a problem for free form pools.

Instead of the wheels Ariel can now "see". So coupled with the maneuverability there are sensors to tell the robot where to go. This is important for me as the NX2 gets stuck in corners a lot, and I have a lot of corners in my pool.

Every time they iterate on the model they make some really good improvements, and I expect them to do that again. It is still a little pricey, but I am tempted to pull the trigger anyway.

I really hate debris that floats in the pool, and it skeeves me out every time I swim, so this helps a lot with that.

So, I have not been able to speak to anybody, but have emailed with their customer support. They gave me a bunch of esoteric differences, and some important ones, but the primary differences for me are.

There are replacing their gear system with direct drive motors. This is important since the gear systems is the primary point of failure on the all the old model Solar Breezes. At least they have been for me. In fact mine is going back now for a warranty repair for that very issue now.

The Ariel can now steer. Before there were wheels that caused it to bounce around as it hit the walls. Now it can maneuver. Those wheels were also a big point of failure as well, as they were gear driven. They would also lose their stickiness over time which causes the NX2 to get stuck more. This is not a problem for free form pools.

Instead of the wheels Ariel can now "see". So coupled with the maneuverability there are sensors to tell the robot where to go. This is important for me as the NX2 gets stuck in corners a lot, and I have a lot of corners in my pool.

Every time they iterate on the model they make some really good improvements, and I expect them to do that again. It is still a little pricey, but I am tempted to pull the trigger anyway.

I really hate debris that floats in the pool, and it skeeves me out every time I swim, so this helps a lot with that.
@Katodude
Thanks! That's some really good information. Sounds like the improvements are really good ones. I certainly want one now...
Is there a particular venue online that you recommend for purchase?

Is there any other advice or information that you might have for potential or future Ariel owners?
Thanks again...
r.

EDIT.. Yea, "netting" my pool and putting the brush to the tile, every time the wind might blow just a little is getting old... Is the solar breeze easy to retrieve and empty/clean?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My brief experience with the old model was it’s basically just a tray with a mesh filter, so it’s a quick rinse or shake off. Doesn’t have a ton of storage as the tray is only half an inch or so deep. My gripe with the old one was that it kicked a decent amount of stuff out the back instead of catching it in the tray, and it always got stuck on my pool robot cord.

My brief experience with the old model was it’s basically just a tray with a mesh filter, so it’s a quick rinse or shake off. Doesn’t have a ton of storage as the tray is only half an inch or so deep. My gripe with the old one was that it kicked a decent amount of stuff out the back instead of catching it in the tray, and it always got stuck on my pool robot cord.
Ah, some considerations there. Never thought about the robot power cord. Hmmm, really it kicked stuff out of the back instead of trapping it in the tray? That's a possible concern.
Thanks...
r.

I’d say if you’re trying to decide between spending $600 on a robot versus $600 on an unnecessary, additional skimmer .... go for the robot first. You will get far greater use and lifetime out of a robot cleanser.

I’ve been watching these solar powered robot skimmers for a while now but I have to say that I’m just not there yet. Price is to high for what you get out of it. Although they did name this latest model “Ariel” and my daughters name is “Ariela” .... so maybe it’s time to buy 🤔😂

My gripe with the old one was that it kicked a decent amount of stuff out the back instead of catching it in the tray, and it always got stuck on my pool robot cord.

i noticed mine starting to that too (not normal) but I noticed the tray not locking in place properly. the little locking tabs in front were busted which caused the tray to slide forward too much allowing for debris to come out the back. They sent me new tray and all is well now.

as far as those wondering if worth the price, you just have to put a value on the need to skim your own pool design with the landscaping you have around your pool. if your skimmers aren't capturing enough stuff and you're constantly out there with your pole net , then maybe the investment is worth it. If you dont mind hand skimming or your pool skimmers are adequate, then dont bother. to each their own. personally, I love waking up in the morning to a fairly clean pool after a nighttime storm kicks up the wind. the solar breeze (on a full charge) during most of summer and fall will last through the night working to keep your pool surface clean while you sleep.

Done,

Ordered the Ariel. You can order direct from the website. Its on sale for $448, with a 2 year warranty.

Is it expensive, yeah but for me its worth it. I pulled mine out today to send back for repair, and the landscaper came. The pool is full of grass clippings!!! That sealed the deal. For me thats no way to live.

Just remember this is a pre order, but you pay in advance. You wont get them until March. I guess its a little like a kickstarter.

Last edited:
Done,

Ordered the Ariel. You can order direct from the website. Its on sale for $448, with a 2 year warranty.

Is it expensive, yeah but for me its worth it. I pulled mine out today to send back for repair, and the landscaper came. The pool is full of grass clippings!!! That sealed the deal. For me thats no way to live.

Just remember this is a pre order, but you pay in advance. You wont get them until March. I guess its a little like a kickstarter.

Cool. I wonder how much you're saving by pre-ordering? I think I saw where the cut-off is Dec 1.

Really wasn't considering an "either or" decision an a robot vs Ariel. I want both. :p

Retail is 530 looks like. It’s sort of tempting since I have no wall returns, I guess I’d have to take my robot out inbetween cleans though which is a tall order.

If the tray is not seated right it will kick out stuff. My tray also broke, but a quick email to them and they send me a new tray all is good.

As for catching on the robot cord it will do that, but I dont run them both at the same time. NX stays in the pool always, and when its time to dump the robot in, I turn off the NX2 until the robot comes out of the pool.

If the tray is not seated right it will kick out stuff. My tray also broke, but a quick email to them and they send me a new tray all is good.

As for catching on the robot cord it will do that, but I dont run them both at the same time. NX stays in the pool always, and when its time to dump the robot in, I turn off the NX2 until the robot comes out of the pool.
Yep, that makes good sense regarding the cord.
Ah yea, I see it now, so looks like a savings of $80 bucks if you order before Tuesday. 🤔 Early Christmas present possibly. 🤔
Hey @Katodude Stop coming up with these great ideas (Atlas Scientific Sensors, Ariel Robot, Alternative Automation) for the pool, You're killing me (my wallet) :laughblue:
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.