SoCal *Splash* Pool

Girija

Silver Supporter
Sep 15, 2020
Poway, CA
Kimkats, because you asked so sweetly . . . šŸ˜

Hi All!
I'm pre-dig on a ~12K gal, 12 x 28 Salt Splash Pool (3.5 - 5' depth) w/ 6 x 6 in-pool spa and raised wall, w/ 48" cascadeā€”thank you everyone who has posted on cascades resulting in increased PH! Good to know!

Still deciding on wall tile, waterline tile, pool finish (it will be Pebble tec - probably fina . . . trying to see some pools in person) Edit: Saw a Pebble fina Bella Blue finish 12/6/20. It was too light . . . I've grown to love the deeper blue water colors. 2/12/21: Saw a Pebble Sheen Blue surf pool - Beautiful, and felt smooth to touch. Decision made!

Equipment:
Intellichlor-40 Salt, Pentair Mastertemp 400 natural gas heater, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Hayward Paramount Para-level auto fill device, Pentair Quad 60 filter w/ back wash valve, Navigator auto pool cleaner, 500 watt LED light in pool and spa

My yard is completely torn up and ready for the dig. Should be happening in next couple weeks, so hopefully I'll be posting here again soon. See progress below.

TIMELINE:
Sign contract
: 6/30/20 šŸ„³
Permits approved: 9/8/20 šŸ‘
Dig: ????? šŸ¤”
:flower: Dig Update, 10/14/20: Received word from PB today that dig will begin mid-next week! Two days later the doorbell rang and it was an electrician to install our electrical sub-panel! Building has officially begun! (I think) :LOL:
Excavation: 10/29 & 10/30/20 - Yes, that's FOUR months after signing the contract [Insert sloth picture here]
Rebar: 11/17/20 . . . Additional Rebar added to backside of pool 11/25/20
Plumbing/Electrical/Pool Equipment: 11/23/20, 11/24/20, and 12/1/20
City Inspection: 12/7/20 - (Failed inspection. The City requested additional rebar and 1" space between all plumbing pipes and rebar.)
1/11/21 - Passed the 12/7 inspection.
Shotcrete: 1/12/21 - Done!
"Clean-up": 1/18/21 - (Remove wood stakes and frame, Remove excess concrete in yard.
Fill Trenches: 1/28/21 - Yay! We can walk in the yard again!
Cascade Installed: 2/23/21
2/23 PREDICTION: Let's see . . . at this (slow) rate, with coping, tile, finish, final electrical and deck to go . . . I'm guessing our 30-day start-up will be during the month of May.***
Coping poured! 2/26/21; 3/1/21 Coping Acid Washed.
Pool Tile: 4/8/21 - 4/15/21
Inspection Passed: 4/23/21
Deck pour: 5/3/21; Deck acid washed 5/5/21
Final Inspection Passed: 5/6/21
Pool Plaster (Pebble Sheen Blue Surf w/ 20 lbs shimmering sea): 5/10/21
Plaster acid washed and polished: 5/11/21
Pool Fill! 11:45 a.m. - 10:45 p.m. - 5/11/21
Start-up: 5/12 - 6/10/21
***I guessed correctly back on 2/23. Start-up began after water fill on May 12, 2021***

Last edited:
Here's a pic of part of my "deconstructed" yard. When the PB came out to mark the ground three weeks ago, they said, "Oh, you've already marked it for us!" Ha!

We had to cut 44" off our patio to make way for the pool! AND move a ton of brick and rockā€”which my husband lovingly laid when we moved in eight years ago. He deconstructed most everything too!

See that table piled with tile? Well, sad but true, there are three tables full of tiles on our patio. And we still haven't decided. :swim: There are so many beautiful choices, but when we put them out in our yard, they either turn super dark or super bland! The one in the pic (Aquabella's Fjord Silent) didn't do either, so we may use it for waterline . . .

Attachments

• Yard.jpg
    Yard.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 264
I'm pre-dig on a 14 gal, 12 x 28 Salt Splash Pool
Well, with only 14 gallons in it, splashing is about all you'll be able to do! :ROFLMAO:

Congrats on the build. Looks like you've got some top-notch equipment lined up. Great job on laying everything out so thoroughly. Best of luck with the project!

Reactions: Girija
You are purchasing a lot of the Pentair gear you'd want for a fully automated system. Did you consider a Pentair automation controller, like the EasyTouch or newer IntelliCenter? Personally, I wouldn't want to live without mine. You can always add it later, but I mention it now because there are a few advantages to buying and installing it now:

- There are bundles that come with the controller, spa valve actuators and InteliChlor SWG, including the SWG's required transformer built into the controller's box (inside, instead of an external box outside of the controller).

- There are models that include the array of circuit breakers your pool will need also built-in to the controller box. So instead of a controller box, SWG transformer box, pool light switch box and circuit breaker box, all bolted to the wall behind your pump and filter, everything could be contained in a single tidy, nice looking box.

- Everything you need to control (pumps and SWG and light(s) and timers, etc) can be done from the pad, any computer, your smartphone or iPad, while either home or away: check the pool or spa temp on your way home, get the spa warmed up, adjust the chlorine level in your pool, turn on/off the pool light from your bed, etc.

- If you purchase three items from a select list of Pentair items together, at the same time and on the same invoice, you get the extended three-year warranty on not only those three items, but on everything Pentair you buy together (may or may not include pool light(s)).

So if you'd ever consider automation, now's the time to buy it. You'll get a much better warranty on everything, and you'll have a lot cleaner install.

Now, if you already knew all that, and just forgot to include the controller in your list, well, then, uh, never mind! ;)

I studied your Paramount Para-level auto fill device just now. And I've looked into the Pentair version of that as well. I believe the PoolMiser auto leveler is the superior system (and I own one, so know well how it works).

They all use an equalizer tube to connect to the pool. This is the right way to connect an auto-leveler (which I'd be happy to explain). And they all allow adjustment of the water level.

The Paramount uses a proprietary valve. The Pentair and PoolMiser use a more readily available FluidMaster valve, which will likely be around forever, and costs about $25 to replace. Should the Paramount valve ever need replacing, that'll be subject to whatever they want to charge, and if they're still in business (remember, this thing is cemented in, so there's no going back).

They all appear to include a connection for an overflow pipe. Which is good, as you want that as part of the equalizer tube setup (which I'd also be happy to explain). But as near as I can tell from the descriptions and pics supplied by the manufacturers, only the PoolMiser allows you to adjust the level at which overflow occurs. This can be very useful for several reasons, that won't have much meaning to you until after your pool is finished (you can use the overflow level to help control your pool's tendency to accumulate unwanted chemicals, to adjust water depth over a sun shelf (if you have one?), and to help you monitor status of the auto-leveler system itself).

I realize this is not something foremost in your mind right now. But I mention this because whichever system you choose, that's the one you'll be stuck with forever. It's not like a pool pump that you could later swap out. They are installed literally in stone and can't be upgraded.

On the topic of things you don't want to think about just now...

Consider buying your test kits now. Don't wait until the water is filling. You'll need it in hand before then, and you'll want to be comfortable using it before the water goes in. We highly recommend a couple, and you'll want a salt test kit, too. (See below.)

The other reason: to test your fill water. This will be even more obscure than the water leveler spiel. I'll spare you all the water chemistry lessons, but if your area has hard water, that can lead to a water maintenance issue, a task and an expense, that you might want to avoid. That issue can be negated by connecting your auto-leveler system to a water softener. Do you use soft water in the house by any chance? Or plan to someday? I mention this now because planning the plumbing to accomplish this is something you'd want to do while the pool and equipment pad are being built. This can be done later (as I did it), but it's a bit easier to do it now. Again, if you want more details about this, I'll be happy to expound.

I'm projecting. I learned a lot about the issues I just posted about well after the fact, costing me time and money I didn't have to spend, and sticking me with stuff I didn't want. I found TFP late in the process, so didn't have someone that explained all this to me in advance.

You'll also need a Taylor K1766 Test Kit (for measuring salt content for your SWG) and a SpeedStir.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After revisiting your pic of your layout... I just gotta say... I've often attempted to convince folks planning a pool to lay it all out with stakes and string, to get a good idea of its size and placement, how everything was going to fit around it. Decks and furniture, too. I'm sure that most of those attempts got ignored, or maybe a few tried it, half-heartedly. But never did I imagine someone would ever go to the lengths you did. Absolutely brilliant. The detail!! The steps. The wall. The spa. Tiles in place. Awesome! I even once suggested laying down a blue tarp to help visualize the water color. Is that what you were doing with that sheet!?! I'm feeling slightly less obsessive-compulsive just now. Or maybe just sensing a kindred spirit!! šŸ¤Ŗ

Just wanted to say: well done!

Wow Dirk, yes kindred spirits ;) . . . you've given me so much to chew on! Thank you for taking the time to send all this useful info. ~ I'll mull it over this weekend, but off the top of my head, yes we did consider the smart connection system offered by our PB as an add-on. It was too expensive and we aren't big "tech" people, but you certainly make it sound appealing. We are in a bit of a unique situation in that we took advantage of the PB's splash pool special, which comes with a package of equipment, etc., and optional add-ons. Our budget is pretty much maxed out, as the decision to build a pool resulted in a domino effect of other expensive ticket items (like upgrading our electrical, etc., etc., etc - I won't bore you or me :sleep: )
I will ask the PB about the Pool Miser, but they probably have a deal with Paramount and will charge a lot to change it out. It can't hurt to ask!! I'll put their response here.

Last edited:
Re. a test kit, I went back through the paperwork because I thought it was included (and it is, though they don't say which one). I'll ask to receive it early. They also include a brush, pole, net, and thermometer ~ all the basic stuff. :)

Glad to help, if I have. You can always add the automation later (I just wanted to be sure you understood the ramifications of that). You'll be glad to have the auto-fill, whichever one you end up with. Keep studying here. Read the build threads. Ask lots of questions about your build. Lot's of us will chime in to help you. But we will expect payment!! We loves the build pics. Ya gotta promise to keep 'em coming! :)

I don't quite understand the part about budget and the domino effect. That has never happened to me... ;)

Alternate joke about pool expenses:

Unknown.jpeg

• Haha
Re. a test kit, I went back through the paperwork because I thought it was included (and it is, though they don't say which one). I'll ask to receive it early. They also include a brush, pole, net, and thermometer ~ all the basic stuff. :)
That "included kit" will likely not be what you need. But check first, of course. You might be able to use some part of it, but you'll need a high-quality kit if you plan on taking care of the pool yourself. Read all about it here on TFP. I gave you that link, above.

There you are!!! Sweet on work getting started on the build! Now go out and take a pic or 500 of what has been done! You will be glad you did as this will become your pool's story and will be fun to go back and read when it is all over and done!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.