So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Status
Not open for further replies.
First: thank you for this awesome write up. I am a trouble free pool owner for a year now with NO PROBLEMS! I am ready to make the splash...hehehehe with borates in my 29,000 SWG pool. Two questions:
1. how long do I need to keep swimmers out of the pool after the addition of Borax and MA?
2. what affects will the borates have , if any, on the pool calculator and maintaining the pool.

Readings this AM before addition of borax:
Temp: 85f
Salt 3800
PH 7.6
FC 3-5
TA 90
CYA 50

If you are going the borax and acid route, stay out for an hour, then measure the PH again and make sure it is between 7.2 and 8.0 before swimming.

The main effect borates have is to buffer PH changes, so changing the PH requires more acid/base. As long as you enter your current borate level in the Now column the Pool Calculator will calculate that for you. Some people report reduced chlorine consumption, but that isn't all that common.

23,040 gallon vinyl pool
PH 7.5
TA 110
TC 6
FC 6
CYA 30
CH 240
Borate 42

Just wanted to thank everyone on here who contributes. I've been following this site for two years and decided to borate the pool this year since our summers have been so hot and I've been having to shock the pool so much do to high bather load and warm temps. I've found my chlorine consumption isn't down much but the algae problems I experienced earlier in the year have subsided.

I never understood the post from people who said their water was jewel like after adding borates - now I know, it really does something for water clarity. And that is my question, does adding borates lower your turbidity and if so, how?

Ok, here are some before and after pictures my pool. The process went smoothly and I am very satisfied!

The before shot shows clear water (48'' deep), but no sparkle or silkiness. You can definitely tell the added effect when the sun hits the pool!

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 405
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 397
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 394
Dumb question?

Is there any advantage to using Borax/MA vs. Boric Acid?
If I go with Boric Acid - is there a reason to use Powder vs. using Granular?

My pool is calculating at about 13,500 gallons - if that's the case PoolCalculator.com says I should add 32lbs of Boric acid to get a rise of 50ppm. Is it necessary to get 50ppm or is there a range under and over this that is acceptable?

UnderWaterVanya said:
Cost for some, though when I worked it out, boric acid was just slightly more expensive for me(like 5 bucks) and much quicker.

UnderWaterVanya said:
I would go with granular. The is usually a little more expensive and at least one user has said that the powder floats and clumps, making it harder to work with.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Is it necessary to get 50ppm or is there a range under and over this that is acceptable?
My understanding is it takes at least 35 ppm to start seeing the benefits of borates.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Dumb question?

My pool is calculating at about 13,500 gallons - if that's the case PoolCalculator.com says I should add 32lbs of Boric acid to get a rise of 50ppm. Is it necessary to get 50ppm or is there a range under and over this that is acceptable?

I'm new here but will take a stab at this... From what I understand, the only real advantage of boric acid vs borax/MA is that you don't need the MA. Adding a bunch of borax to your pool will cause your pH to skyrocket, which is why you need the MA to bring it back down. Getting your pool from 0 to 50ppm of borates using boric acid will lower your pH and only typically a point or two. I guess the other difference is that boric acid is not as readily available as borax. As for the question of 50ppm borates, that seems to be the ideal level for most pools. 50ppm is where you begin to see the benefits of adding borates to your pool, and anything up to 80ppm (if I'm quoting Jason correctly, I'd have to go back and check) is more than acceptable. Of course, once you add borates to your pool, the only way to get rid of them is to empty water and replenish.

I'm about to add borates to my pool this weekend as my plaster is over 30 days old. I bought 3 gallons of MA for my pool yesterday at HD, and I'm currently on the hunt for 20MT Borax at Wally World. I've been to 2 already locally that are completely sold out. I guess the word is getting out! :) Good luck!

Jose

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to raise borates this year quite a bit, both CYA and borates had dropped over the winter by about 25ppm (uncovered pool, lotta rain). We'd lost the sparkle. I only had a half a box of 20/20 Mule Team left over so that went in first, which raised it to about 35ppm. Sparkle did not show at this level. It wasn't till after the third round of borax/acid that the sparkle came back, and I overshot it just a tad as well. The point I'm trying to make is that 35ppm won't do half what 50ppm does for sparkle. It is a very noticeable difference, even without sun.

After switching to a SWG and continually struggling to keep my pH down even after lowering TA to between 60 and 70 (it keeps going up where I've had to add acid almost daily), I figured I'd try out putting borates into the bool. 18 boxes of borax and 5 gallons of MA later, they're in! I'm waiting for my borate test strips to arrive, but expect the levels to be pretty close to 50. I don't know how it'll work yet on pH (it rose a bit the next day, but I read somewhere that could be residual borax still dissolving) but what I can tell you is how AMAZING the pool water looks. Part of the reason I did it was for the aesthetic affect of the borates, but I had no idea just how much of an impact they'd have. We've always had pretty clear water that I thought was shimmery, but wow what a difference (it's just a white plaster bottom):

Borates%201.jpg

Borates%202.jpg

10 boxes of 20MT and 3 gallons of MA finally added yesterday. My local Wal-marts are always out of it, so my wife had them order 15 boxes for us. I love the clean smell of the water! :D Pics will be coming soon. I started with my pH at 7.5, TA at 80. After adding in 2 batches and brushing, I waited an hour and tested pH again, still at 7.5. Success! I just ordered some test strips from HERE (1 left in stock!) but I'm confident I'm right around 50ppm. I can't wait to jump in! :)

Jose

Just starting the BBB method. Our water results from the Pool Supply are below. Still trying to get the chlorine level up. Can we add borax if we are still clearing up the algae? We have a 16,000 gal rectangular in ground plaster pool with an inline chlorinator which we are going to reduce our use of. Pool water is still a little cloudy.
FC 0
TC 0
CH 250
CYA 80 (down from 200) (first indication we needed to change)
TA 225
ph 7.6

Reread the first post. You need your TA in range before adding borates ... that may take awhile.

Focus on clearing the pool for now. Then adjust TA. Then consider borates ... but realize they are completely optional.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Started the Borates process

I have started the process. Here is what I have done so far:

1. TA was at 100 to start. I have now brought that down to 70-80 (closer to 70)
2. PH is now at 7.3ish after 24 hours or aggressive aeration, up from 7.0ish

Can I start the borates addition now? ...or do I need to continue to raise the PH first? I am hoping that 7.3ish is close enough, I'm not very patient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.