So you are new to testing

We just renovated our deck this year, did most of the work ourselves, but had a contractor help us with some problems where the deck met the exterior of our house. I’ve been meaning to post about this, but I’ll spoil it here since you mentioned your deck.
Before:
B4F9D4C6-4E58-470D-9162-66037E5748EC.jpeg

After:

B9A5A656-3A0D-4606-98B3-1AB3A9CAA9E2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
We just renovated our deck this year, did most of the work ourselves, but had a contractor help us with some problems where the deck met the exterior of our house. I’ve been meaning to post about this, but I’ll spoil it here since you mentioned your deck.
Before:

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! You did a great job on it!

Speed stir came today and this thing is great
:laughblue:

I know, I know. *NOW* you get it. If only we could get the masses to understand before they purchase the kit and the speed stir. It would be soooooooo much easier. I cannot recall once that anybody walked away from the TF-100. Instead they all come online to brag about how they caught the spring sale in time to replace it when it was time.

Reactions: Bondo66
*****. If you are new and reading this. The above post is a fellow newb. @Bondo66 just got here a month ago and is doing it for the first time. Just like you. He’s had his speedstir for a few hours and go reread his post above. (#44). I’ve had mine for a few years. If you tried to take mine away, I’d cut you. Just sayin. Please don’t try it. 😁

it is no joke the best $30 you can spend on your pool. If the price goes up, it is the best *that amount* you can spend on your pool.

Reactions: Bondo66
I did my first test this week and realized i needed to get CYA in there. Did that per the pool math app (and Martin's advice) and I tested twice already. Easy peazy lemon squeazy. Just follow the laminated card instructions in my TF100 kit. My only trouble is reaching the pool as its half full plumbing is not in and I have a temporary sump pump for circulation so I'm trying to keep water from going swamp before my pool is up and running. Hoping it is before I leave on vacation on the 20th or I am screwed because I will come back to swamp water and have to start all over. :cry:

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, AH-64 Apache attack helicopters……

It’s that time of year again with an influx of newbs either getting a late start or coming to us trying to undo what hasn’t been working. First of all, I’d like to welcome you all. You’re gonna love it here. We will help you maintain a pool the stupid easy and even stupid-er cheap way.

We’ve likely told you that you need a reliable test kit, but they seem so scary. You meander over to pool school to see what it entails, and although it’s simply and exactly written, it seems like rocket science and you are in way over your head. We throw terms all back and forth that are Greek to you. Take your R-0871 and and swirl drops with R-0870 in the 10ml vial and whatnot. Many many folks are overwhelmed and remember failing chemistry. (Side note, I don’t believe everyone failed chemistry that says they did at this point, but I still LOVE the jokes myself).

So, while the test kits come with a cheat sheet and the same instructions are very simply laid out in pool school, I want to break it down further so you can realize how stupid easy it all is. We were in your shoes. We were all overwhelmed when we were there. We all finally sucked it up and tried…….. and 3 tries later we *facepalmed*.

For starters I will take the all important FC test that will be done the most frequently. If we can convince you that you can easily do it, you’ll understand better that ALL the tests are just as easy. Each is a little different, and they all have their own quirks/hacks, but first we have to get you over the hump to try.

If you look at the instructions as a whole it’s insane. Stop right there. Use your hands, or paper, to block off everything but the FC test. Oooooooh. That’s much better already. Ok now, here we go. One step at a time. Scan that test for which supplies you need. No need to care what each one means yet. We will get there later. Just get the supplies listed as their reagent #. For FC it’s R-0870, R-0871 and R-0003. Stupid easy to find the bottles, right ? Get them together and here we go. Ignore all the other bottles for now.

1) rinse and fill vial to 10ml. Ok ? I can do that

2) add heaping scoop of R-0870 powder. Ooooooook ? I guess that’s easy enough.
*still skeptical*. *probably grimmacing now*

*vial turns hot pink*
Ooooooooh. Prettttttttttty. What a lovely shade. Pay attention you dolts !!! This is SERIOUS STUFF !!!!

3). add R-0871, one drop at a time, 1-2 seconds apart, swirl and count. *now grimacing that you are halfway through and it’s all been so easy*.

4). When solution turns clear, stop. *facepalms at how stupid easy this all really is*

5) divide drops by 2 for FC. ( ie, 10 drops = 5 FC). *throws instruction card because they doubted themselves*. *has tantrum*.
View attachment 355636

We still need to check for CCs but you’re a LEGIT scientist now. Pffffffffft. *grabs bottle of R-0003*

6). Add 5 drops of R-0003. Why !!! Why did I doubt myself ??? I’m SO stupid that I thought I’d be stupid !!! ARRRRRRGH !!!

7). If solution stays clear, no CCs. If it goes pink again, add drops of R-0871 and same as FC, Count and Divide by 2 for CCs.

BOOM. Done. Look at you go !!!!

It is *that* stupid easy
I learned way more about chemistry from TF-100 test kit way easier than I did in HS !

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure there are @mguzzy ‘s out there that did this kinda thing in makeshift labs in inhospitable countries that were 125 degrees. Doing so on his 80 degree patio while nursing a breakfast Tequila was a welcome relief.
Who doesn't appreciate a mentor that can down tequila on an 80 degree patio? Color me impressed. I am in good hands, here. And, thinking of a shot for courage... I do have the sweetest limes...
The rest of us take one glance at the instructions and need a change of pants.

You can do this. We believe in you. We will help you at every step until you believe it too.

• Love
You know what is great for me. I found this site before I built so I never hit panic mode. I just sailed through easy clear water town since day uno.
I know I always try to thank everyone here so again I say thank you!
And for those who have not bought the kit yet. Just go buy it already. I don’t want to hear “oh it’s expensive”. Cause I know you are the ones who spend 100 dollars a month at Starbucks on mochas. Lol. Well at least the people I work with do.
No Starbucks here but there is a slight fondness for having tequila ever present.

No questions I just didn't know if there was a separate test.
Thank you all for the help it is greatly appreciated!(y)(y)

Next big thing will be building my deck, gonna probly wait a little longer for lumber prices to come down more. I wont feel good if my lumber costs more than my pool did!
Oh My God Reaction GIF
Yeah, lumber and blocks are in low supply now with high prices. :(

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, AH-64 Apache attack helicopters……

It’s that time of year again with an influx of newbs either getting a late start or coming to us trying to undo what hasn’t been working. First of all, I’d like to welcome you all. You’re gonna love it here. We will help you maintain a pool the stupid easy and even stupid-er cheap way.

We’ve likely told you that you need a reliable test kit, but they seem so scary. You meander over to pool school to see what it entails, and although it’s simply and exactly written, it seems like rocket science and you are in way over your head. We throw terms all back and forth that are Greek to you. Take your R-0871 and and swirl drops with R-0870 in the 10ml vial and whatnot. Many many folks are overwhelmed and remember failing chemistry. (Side note, I don’t believe everyone failed chemistry that says they did at this point, but I still LOVE the jokes myself).

So, while the test kits come with a cheat sheet and the same instructions are very simply laid out in pool school, I want to break it down further so you can realize how stupid easy it all is. We were in your shoes. We were all overwhelmed when we were there. We all finally sucked it up and tried…….. and 3 tries later we *facepalmed*.

For starters I will take the all important FC test that will be done the most frequently. If we can convince you that you can easily do it, you’ll understand better that ALL the tests are just as easy. Each is a little different, and they all have their own quirks/hacks, but first we have to get you over the hump to try.

If you look at the instructions as a whole it’s insane. Stop right there. Use your hands, or paper, to block off everything but the FC test. Oooooooh. That’s much better already. Ok now, here we go. One step at a time. Scan that test for which supplies you need. No need to care what each one means yet. We will get there later. Just get the supplies listed as their reagent #. For FC it’s R-0870, R-0871 and R-0003. Stupid easy to find the bottles, right ? Get them together and here we go. Ignore all the other bottles for now.

1) rinse and fill vial to 10ml. Ok ? I can do that

2) add heaping scoop of R-0870 powder. Ooooooook ? I guess that’s easy enough.
*still skeptical*. *probably grimmacing now*

*vial turns hot pink*
Ooooooooh. Prettttttttttty. What a lovely shade. Pay attention you dolts !!! This is SERIOUS STUFF !!!!

3). add R-0871, one drop at a time, 1-2 seconds apart, swirl and count. *now grimacing that you are halfway through and it’s all been so easy*.

4). When solution turns clear, stop. *facepalms at how stupid easy this all really is*

5) divide drops by 2 for FC. ( ie, 10 drops = 5 FC). *throws instruction card because they doubted themselves*. *has tantrum*.

View attachment 355636

We still need to check for CCs but you’re a LEGIT scientist now. Pffffffffft. *grabs bottle of R-0003*

6). Add 5 drops of R-0003. Why !!! Why did I doubt myself ??? I’m SO stupid that I thought I’d be stupid !!! ARRRRRRGH !!!

7). If solution stays clear, no CCs. If it goes pink again, add drops of R-0871 and same as FC, Count and Divide by 2 for CCs.

BOOM. Done. Look at you go !!!!

It is *that* stupid easy
Yeah, you were right, it was pretty easy once I took it step-by-step. Whee!:whoot: Thanks again!

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.