So much to learn!

Pool Newbie!

Apr 11, 2019
Gadsden AL
I am the caretaker of my daughters pool. She is a single mom on a teachers salary so I’m hoping by learning to take care of it myself I can save her a lot of money. She didn’t close it over the winter so it is going to be quiet the challenge to get it up and running. I’m not afraid of hard work just need some knowledge to go with it. It looks like a swamp right now so I am thinking of trying the SLAM method. Any advice is always welcomed. 1st on my agenda is to order the TF-100 testing kit. Will it be to complicated for a beginner?

Welcome Pool Newbie :)

While you wait for the test kit to arrive I would suggest using a pool net to lift out any solid debris in the pool. That is the first step in clearing up a swamp and will make a SLAM go all that much faster since the chlorine won't be burning itself out trying to oxidize leaves and such.

If the pool is vinyl lined tread gently so you don't gouge or damage the liner.

Your daughter is VERY blessed to have your assistance :hug:

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Pool Newbie!
Thank you for your responses. I feel a sense of ease knowing there are good people willing to help and cheer me on. This forum is definitely one of the few “positive” advantages to technology and social media. So happy to be apart of this group! Thanks again so much.

I am the caretaker of my daughters pool. She is a single mom on a teachers salary so I’m hoping by learning to take care of it myself I can save her a lot of money. She didn’t close it over the winter so it is going to be quiet the challenge to get it up and running. I’m not afraid of hard work just need some knowledge to go with it. It looks like a swamp right now so I am thinking of trying the SLAM method. Any advice is always welcomed. 1st on my agenda is to order the TF-100 testing kit. Will it be to complicated for a beginner?

Welcome PN...

No.. this will not be complicated for a beginner. I started using TFP last year and have saved a bunch a money. Everyone here is very nice and willing to help you. I'm glad you found this site.

I see you ordered the TF-100... good job.

You said that your pool looks like a swamp right now, so until you get your kit, I'm thinking that you'll need to add about a half a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine until you get your kit. That will add close to 5 ppm FC per day. Also, clear your pool of debris using pool tools such as a brush, vacuum, pool net , etc. Oh! you can also use regular bleach for your Chlorine level. If you get bleach for your pool, make sure you use the plain stuff - no splashless, scents, or polymers. No Clorox or cloromax - no additives.

It you could add your signature to your profile, it will also help to understand what type of pool you have. If it's anything like mine and your pool is really dirty, it is recommended that you vacuum to waste to avoid clogging up your filter. However, I would like to know what type of pool you have before doing this step. Please add a signature to your page. Also, scoop out as much junk on the surface as well as on the bottom. By doing this, you’re allowing your chlorine do to its job on the algae.

Here are some links that are very useful as well:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Due to some unexpected (un pool related) issues the pool had to be put on hold for a while.
Hopefully I have done what I needed in setting up my account on hear so that I can get some much needed advice.
I have cleared out at as much debris as possible, received my test kit, tested the water (hopefully correctly), and started on
getting my PH and CYA in line to start the SLAM process.
Is this where I would post my numbers and ask my questions to start this process?
I don't want to start out on the wrong foot, please advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your PoolMath logs are being shared so as long as you keep you data on those updated, we can see your tests, etc there. May have to remind some members occasionally.

I would suggest you start a new thread in Algae Prevention and Treatment. This sub forum is for brief introductions.

Thank you for your response and I hate to sound so stupid but how do I get to that forum? I tried searching in the search bar for Algae Prevention and Treatment but the only thing that came up was post telling people to start a new thread in that forum. I may need more guidance than this group is prepared for :rolleyes: