So just let me introduce myself My name is Humpty, pronounced with a Umpty : )

Briant2468

Jul 2, 2019
Virginia Beach
Lol. So my name is Brian I live in Virginia Beach and I just had a 24ft round AGP installed almost 2 weeks ago. I unfortunately trusted the pool company to lead me in the right direction and did not due research and I was sold “The Simple Salt, Simple Blue System” ( a copper ionizer). I was confused them and am confused now and quickly finding out that it may be BS. I am on here doing research and may be scrapping that system and doing the BBB method. If anyone has any info to guide me I would LOVE to hear some HONEST info. Thank you for having me in your forum.

Welcome to TFP.

Adding copper to pool water causes two issues. Staining and turning blond hair green. The online way to remove copper is to replace the water. So its not a good long term scenario. Trouble free pool care (TFPC), we don’t use the term BBB any longer, is built around testing your own pool water and understanding what chemicals you need and why.

Here’s a good thread to get you started understanding copper and other alternative sanitizers. Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth!

And here is our approach in summary...What is TFPC? - Trouble Free Pool

And a good chemistry introduction...ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And a few videos for good measure:

Reactions: Briant2468
Hiya Briant, welcome to TFP! :handwave:

Sorry to hear your new cool pool is stressing you out. Is there any way to remove the copper ionizer from the salt water chlorinator? Some folks with other systems like Nature2 thingies just remove the copper portions and the cells still work. I'm not familiar with the Simple Blue device though.

Alternatively, you can just remove or turn off the device and go to straight liquid chlorine. You would add that daily to every other day based on your pool's appetite for chlorine and your testing. You would need a *good* test kit also.

I would suggest obtaining the TF-100 from www.tftestkits.net The company put together this test kit based on our forum's way of pool care. It is a great test kit and should last you 2 years if you never have an algae outbreak. Refill reagents avail also.

Read some pool school articles and you'll get the idea of how we handle our pools-

Holler back with any questions!

Maddie :flower: <--lived in RedMill Farm in VaBch for 10 wonderful years long ago.... great city!

I can remove the Copper ionizer easily I put a union on either side because my gut was telling me something was up with this system. The whole time I felt something was wrong. I just ordered the Taylor K-2006 it will be here Friday, should I return it? I need to figure out what to do with my pool quickly. I was told I had high Phosphate and just added NoPhos and then I read here phosphates do not matter. My phosphates were 1500 then today 500 and I did nothing to lower it until I added NoPhos today. Soooo confused

Those shifty phosphate levels are proof that the pool stores are .... lousy at testing/out to make a sale

If you haven't already used the PhosFree, return it.

Yes, it looks like you could easily remove that. Good job on the unions.

The K-2006 is ok...just shy on reagents. You can get refills for it on TFTestkits.net also.

Let us know what your results are when the test kit arrives.

Maddie :flower:

Is HDX Liquid Chlorine from a Home Depot good. One review said it was 10%. Should I buy a lot and stock up? If not what should I get?

Attachments

• 52B6B883-F359-429E-99A2-4A6F4D1F06AC.png
    52B6B883-F359-429E-99A2-4A6F4D1F06AC.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 64623C7C-BA38-47FE-965D-2D5413357B21.png
    64623C7C-BA38-47FE-965D-2D5413357B21.png
    526.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi and Welcome!! You are going to LOVE TFPC! Your pool will look and feel oh so much better now that you have found TFP!

The big question here is can your remove JUST the copper part of that system? If so then do so. The Salt part of it might be good. I will have to do some research to see how it works. A SWG as seen here: Salt Water Chlorine Generators - Trouble Free Pool are wonderful and makes your pool even easier to take care of!

Kim:kim: