Barrie, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So my spa manual specifically states “using third party salt systems voids the warranty.” I thought I knew better and went with salt.
Now I have a leak from the “heat exchanger”.

Any thoughts?

call the manufacturer and play dumb?

Attachments

• FB8FBB5A-63A2-4DF2-9045-38E95B219C66.jpeg
    FB8FBB5A-63A2-4DF2-9045-38E95B219C66.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 5F9CAA6F-5867-4A0A-86CB-BEC202E1D703.jpeg
    5F9CAA6F-5867-4A0A-86CB-BEC202E1D703.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 42
Play as dumb as you like, an experienced tech will know. If the manufacturer request a return on the part they will know.
That said, there is no reason to suspect salt as the culprit, especially after such a short time. And leaks at the weld of a mounting stud are so rare as to be unheard of. I can't say I have ever seen that in 26 years in this business.
Given the fair chance of the claim being denied and the warranty voided, I would consider just buying a new heater assembly. That is a Balboa m7, right?

Well I appreciate the link to a replacement part. Are those just mounting studs? The manual states using a "third party" salt system would void the warranty, which I took to mean they wanted to sell me their "salt system"?

Should I refrain from salt in the future? What else could cause a failure like this?

Manufacturing defect. If not on a functioning gfci it could be a shorted heater, since that is your ground as well. If your salt cell is leaking voltage to the water it would also show up there. Since it is on the load side of a transformer it would not have gfci protection even if plugged in to a gfci plug. Current flow to ground could cause tracking (deterioration) at the ground connection(s).
Also, having 2 ground paths (spa ground and salt cell ground) could cause current flow if something else in the system (house) is shorted, using ground as neutral, or lost a ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.