Feb 20, 2018
Monmouth County, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, for anyone not familiar with my other threads, here is the rundown

New pool owner (old pool). Had it opened and cleaned. They tried to add DE but stopped when they noticed it was coming from the returns.

I take the filter apart, hose down the grids, inspect everything, looks okay. Reassemble filter, start adding DE. I was using a quart container as scoop, but don't remember how much I added. There was less than 1/3 of a bag. Stopped when I saw DE still entering pool from returns. Pressure is around 11 psi.

Now I'm panicking about a pool full of DE. I run my S200 think it help agitate it off the bottom and maybe get it on the grids. Stupid I know. End up having to wash DE out of poor robot 3-4 times before I realize this is stupid.

Take apart filter again today. Replaced all grids, manifold and stand pipe o-ring with new parts. Carefully inspect stand pipe. No issues.

Turn pump back on. I am now running robot without filters in to agitate the DE on the bottom of the pool and hopefully get into skimmers, also brushing often. Pressure is still only at around 11 psi but I don't see DE at the returns.

My question now is, how much DE should I add? I added all new grids, removed the old ones still covered in gunk, then DE removed with robot and when I washed the original set of grids.

Should I just go with the 80% number? Or knock it down a bit?

e,

I like to get the DE ready then turn on the pump... And then add the DE in a slurry to the skimmer.

I add all the DE to a 5 gallon bucket. Then almost fill the bucket with water. Stir into a slurry and slowly add to the skimmer with the pump running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Getitrite
e,

I like to get the DE ready then turn on the pump... And then add the DE in a slurry to the skimmer.

I add all the DE to a 5 gallon bucket. Then almost fill the bucket with water. Stir into a slurry and slowly add to the skimmer with the pump running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well let's imagine I didn't have DE on hand and need to buy it right now. Should my pump be off or does it not matter.

e,

You really don't want to run the pump without any DE.. If you have half of the required amount you could add it now and then let your pump run while you got the rest.

If not, I would shut the pump off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, this sucks. DE still pouring out of the returns. It's as if the filter isn't even there. Just spraying right out from every return.

Only other thing I could think to check was the drain, which can be set for return or suction. So I closed the drain on both ends, then tried again, no change at all.

I am crushed here. Gonna start calling pool companies tomorrow I guess. If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears.

I think i recently read a post about a similar situation, it ended up being an issue with the slide valve missing a stop or something. What do you have for a backwash valve?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.