So frustrated with SLAM

A multi-week SLAM is very odd. Not passing the OCLT here is even weirder. Let’s look at the simple. Please note that I only peaked at this thread so much of what’s questioned likely has already been answered.
  1. Can you upload a photo of your water?
  2. Can you post a full set of current test results??
  3. Let’s also confirm you’re doing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test correct. Can you list in full detail the steps you’re taking for this test??
poola.jpgpoolb.jpg

A multi-week SLAM is very odd. Not passing the OCLT here is even weirder. Let’s look at the simple. Please note that I only peaked at this thread so much of what’s questioned likely has already been answered.
  1. Can you upload a photo of your water?
  2. Can you post a full set of current test results??
  3. Let’s also confirm you’re doing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test correct. Can you list in full detail the steps you’re taking for this test??
It's windy today and hard to get good pictures but I did my best. Here are the tests as of this afternoon:

FC, 14 (haven't been home to add chlorine today)
CC, 0
TA, 100
Calcium hardness, 275
CYA, 40
Didn't test PH since FC is high

Don't forget that at SLAM level you will have much higher losses to UV during the day. A higher chlorine consumption at SLAM level compared to your usual consumption at target FC is normal to a certain degree. The only conclusive FC loss is the overnight loss with strictly no UV involved.

And then there are testing inaccuracies. Sometimes you add that extra drop when you think there still is a hint of pink. Sometimes you don't. Also important to be reasonably fast once you added the powder. Don't get distracted during the test. Once it's clear, it will start to turn pink again after a while. That's normal, doesn't mean you have to add more drops.
Do you have a Speed Stir (or Smart Stir)? Makes testing so much easier when you don't have to drop, stir and count simultaneously anymore.
Thank you! I don't have a speed stir but it sounds like I need to get one.

All that we do is add chlorine to raise it to 20
Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings left: You add enough chlorine per PoolMath to raise FC to 20ppm, then you let the pump run for at least 30min, and then you test the FC level and take that reading as the baseline for the OCLT? Ideally all of that after sunset, but at least the final FC test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings left: You add enough chlorine per PoolMath to raise FC to 20ppm, then you let the pump run for at least 30min, and then you test the FC level and take that reading as the baseline for the OCLT? Ideally all of that after sunset, but at least the final FC test?
Yes to all of that except we haven't been using pool math. We've had a pretty good feel for how much we need to add and thought that if we went over 20 it was ok. We usually let the pump run a lot more than 30 minutes before taking the final FC test.

Looks like you're doing everything right there.

I think best is, like Marty suggested earlier, to let FC come down to target and do an OCLT there.

I see the pool looks like its kinda raised, Do you have a cover? Can you do your next OCLT with the cover (solar or otherwise) on it? The only thing I can think of is something external to the pool, aeration due to fetch, flying FC gremlins.. I too am grasping at straws.

BTW that is a gorgeous puddle of water you have there. :paddle:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, are you holding the dripper bottle vertically? It needs to be vertical to get the right drop size. Hold it sideways or at an angle and you will get inconsistent results.

I concur with letting FC drop to target and OCLTing there.

I see the pool looks like its kinda raised, Do you have a cover? Can you do your next OCLT with the cover (solar or otherwise) on it? The only thing I can think of is something external to the pool, aeration due to fetch, flying FC gremlins.. I too am grasping at straws.

BTW that is a gorgeous puddle of water you have there. :paddle:
It is a little raised. The lot drops a little towards the rear right corner of the yard. We have a retaining wall behind the pool that is maybe 2 feet tall on the right side and gets smaller towards the left. We only have a winter cover and we have never put it on ourselves, but I guess we could try! We do back up to woods and have had a good number of "visitors"-- geese (we only have evidence of them getting in the pool once), frogs, had a crawfish a few weeks ago (no ponds near us so that was weird!), and pulled a baby snapping turtle out today. There are foxes, bears, turkeys, deer and other wildlife that *could* get in the pool, but we've never seen any in our yard. Thanks for the compliment, we sure do love it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.