So frustrated with SLAM

That is very encouraging! We have had similar fights. :) I think he just doesn't feel confident yet since the pool is new and its our first so he's happy to listen to the local "experts". It's hard when the water looks good but I'm insisting there's still a problem.

OMG <fans self wildly> Nooooooo... they're *hardly* "experts" !!

For those who are still with me and wondering, here are the latest tests:

FC: 21.5
CC: 0.5 (had been maintaining at 0 earlier in the SLAM)
Calcium hardness: 300
Total alkalinity: 100
CYA: 50
PH: over 8.2 but is this accurate with chlorine this high? We got it down to the recommended range before starting the SLAM.

PH: over 8.2 but is this accurate with chlorine this high? We got it down to the recommended range before starting the
It is a false high reading which is why you lowered it before you started. It buys you a week or two during the SLAM when you can't get a reliable PH test. (Anything over 10 FC) :)

Reactions: pool123*
Some questions that may help us further:
- Was your pool closed over the winter? If so, what chemicals were added at closing (antifreeze, algaecide (which type?), any other products)?
- What chlorine product are you using during the SLAM Process
- Poolmath test results are not linked to your profile. Can you post your current FC and CYA?
- Any other products added to the water since opening?
It turns out my husband kept the box of what was put in the pool during closing. It was an Ameripool pool winterizing kit which contained a gallon of On Guard winter protect algaecide and a quart of On Guard stain and scale preventer.

So if I wanted to verify my CYA can that be done with the high chlorine that's in it now?

You can add a drop of R-0007 to neutralize the chlorine, I have read in older posts that very high chlorine can indeed interfere with the CYA-test.

Most important thing with the still very cold water is to let the sample warm up to room temperature before doing the CYA-test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can add a drop of R-0007 to neutralize the chlorine, I have read in older posts that very high chlorine can indeed interfere with the CYA-test.

Most important thing with the still very cold water is to let the sample warm up to room temperature before doing the CYA-test.
Thanks. I didn't realize I needed to let the water warm up for the CYA test. I will try again with warmer water.

That's a lot of copper. You will want to take a water sample to the pool store and let them test for copper to see how much is in the water. Too much copper will cause stains on the plaster, and will turn light colored hair and fabrics green. Don't let the pool store sell you anything.

That's a lot of copper. You will want to take a water sample to the pool store and let them test for copper to see how much is in the water. Too much copper will cause stains on the plaster, and will turn light colored hair and fabrics green. Don't let the pool store sell you anything.
Oh my. Thank you, we will get it tested. So if we have too much, we need to drain some of the water and refill?

Yes, unfortunately that's the only way to get rid of metals. You could go the sequestrant route, but honestly since the only way copper gets in the water is if someone puts it there, its better to drain and replace water. Once you use sequestrants you have to add them regularly as chlorine breaks them down over time.

Yes, unfortunately that's the only way to get rid of metals. You could go the sequestrant route, but honestly since the only way copper gets in the water is if someone puts it there, its better to drain and replace water. Once you use sequestrants you have to add them regularly as chlorine breaks them down over time.
Thank you. That is unfortunate and annoying but we'll take care of it!

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.