So do I have to become a mason?

fields_g

Dec 25, 2014
Rockville, MD
I have some safety coping that has had chips fall off from the underside overhanging the pool. We have dozens of extra coping stones around the yard. There is also an almond rubberized caulk joint between the coping and the concrete pool deck.

What are my options for repairing this damage? And would I be over my head if I tried to do this myself. I have done no masonry work ever before.

If you have basic skills you can do this project.

Use an Angle Grinder to cut out the joints of the bad pieces.
Break out the bad pieces. Use a hammer & chisel.
Use concrete block glue to secure the new pieces back in place.
Cut new ones with angle grinder and diamond blade if needed to fit.
Let dry for a day.
Use Sand Mix concrete to fill in the joints or grout between the stones.
Make the mix dry and crumbly - not wet. Use a small masons pointer to smooth out.
Clean off excess with wet rag and water.

Use a polyurethane self leveling caulk between the coping and deck. Sikaflex is a popular brand. It is messy and sticky. Painters tape will help contain the mess if you over fill.

Yes use tape to mask the area and vinyl medical gloves and your finger to smooth it out.

You should be able to get all the materials at the Home Depot.
Paver Block glue & calking gun
Sand Mix Concrete
Silkaflex calk
Tape

If you don't have an angle grinder pick up a cheap one and some diamond blades at Harbor Freight.
You can also use Duct tape to tape the calk line

A mason would want $500 at least to do the job - as it would take time to get materials and etc.

B

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.