Smelly swimsuits

Who mentioned eye-drops and putting chemicals in your eyes?? Not me. That’s not what I was talking about. But let me be more specific about what I am saying.

Your eyes have a tri-layered fluid covering them at all times. The first layer that sits on the surface of the cornea is the mucous layer. It comes from the cells in the conjunctiva and it is a hydrophobic layer of mucins that allows the second layer to spread out evenly and protects the delicate cornea. The second layer is the aqueous layer that comes from the lacrimal glands and it is a complex soup of water, salts & electrolytes, pH buffers (citric acid/citrate and other acid-salts), proteins, enzymes and antibodies. The aqueous layer is responsible not only for osmotic regluation (pressure changes caused by salinity changes) but also pH regulation and infectious disease control. The third and final layer (between the air and the aqueous layer) is a hydrophobic lipid layer composed of oils that forms a coating over the aqueous layer, lubriucates the eye and keeps the eye from losing water. So, you can think of the tear layer as something like a soap bubble where a thin water layer is maintained between two hydrophobic layers.

When you rub your eyes, you mechanically remove this trilayer film and and expose your cornea to pool water. You also inadvertently push water into your lacrimal glands and conjunctiva where the chlorine will irritate the sensitive tissue there. Simply coming up out of the water and shaking your head (like dogs do) while blinking will easily push away the pool water from your eyes. The outer lipid layer is what allows you to open your eyes under water as the oil film will repel the pool water. The aqueous layer has buffers in it that will keep the pH from changing. If one plans on being in a pool for several hours, then it is advisable to get a good pair of swimmer’s goggles to help protect your eyes. If you plan to jump in and jump out, then simply shaking your head and blinking will do.

But yes, if you decide to use muriatic acid as eye drops, then you’ll very likely go blind as the aqueous layer will have a hard time dealing with the low pH....

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm messing with the layers Matt describes. I recall pressing on my eyes in some way, because it feels good, like scratching an itch feels good. I know I do this with a towel, and probably while in the pool, too. I'll be aware of that now and blink instead.

Not to divert this thread too much... but my eyes are not always fresh as a daisy after a swim. With salt water like tears and pH in the 7s, I was hoping for better. They sometimes bother me a bit for as long as a few hours after a swim..

Salt concentration is apparently important to eyes but ph not so much.

Unfortunately tears are much saltier than pool water.

See post from Chem geek:
what does High/Low Ph do to your skin?

Thanks Matt and Poolzzz for all this excellent information. ChemGeek's post seems to indicate that I was correct in focusing on CSI over eye comfort when it comes to establishing my pH target. It's 7.7, so that should be OK for my eyes. I'll report back if I get any results from Matt's advice. I hope it's that simple. I can live with the chlorine smell on my skin, that doesn't seem to bother me "itch-wise."

Believe me, when you jump in the pool with the intent not to rub your eyes, you will be amazed at how much you attempt to rub your eyes. It’s practically an autonomic reflex for most people.

Dirk, iam with you on the cc smell on skin when I get out. But it doesn’t happen all the time. A lot of times I jump in after yard work and have been sweating for hours. I haven’t determined if my skin smells of chlorine after sweating before going in. I also keep my solar cover on more time than not, and don’t give enough time for sun to burn off cc’s. Which I didn’t check on a correlation between smell on skin and cc’s still in pool.

Matt, I never thought of this before,thanks for the info. My eyes have never bothered me in my pool, but then I don’t open my eyes under water, also I don’t rub or press to expel water. My grandson continually rubs his eyes when he surfaces and he gets red irritated eyes often. I don’t know if he opens his eyes underwater, I’ll have to ask him.

i post earlier about the swim suits, most of the time they are hung outside when really wet but put on tub if damp. They have never smelled .

Based on Matt's info and just my logic, I doubt opening eyes underwater is much of a factor. I think pool water is going to get on the surface of your eyes regardless. When you come up and open your eyes, they're going to get coated with pool water (dripping in from surrounding areas). My kids all use goggles. They're crazy for them. They don't complain about eyes. Seems to be a correlation...

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, just caught myself. A little excess moisture in my eyes just now, from staring at my screen. Without even thinking about it, I just placed my palms against my eyes, pressed in, and dragged both palms outward, across my closed eyes. Feels soooo good! Probably the exact motion I do in the pool...

I guess dolphins don’t burn easily :p

Well, skin cancer is nothing to mess with, but I am in the sun for only minutes at a time, most of the time. My primary pool use is short cool-down bathes I take throughout the day. Very refreshing, but wouldn't be with the chore of sunscreen each time, and feeling it on my skin afterwards. Plus I hung a shade sail over my pool, so I have a place to hide even while in the water.

These cool-downs are almost always sans-suit, which feels great, and is another reason I have less issues with smelly suits...
It also has the added benefit of privacy screening. No neighbor peeks in my yard anymore, because none would want to see that more than the first time!! :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah...you Mods really need to do a better job of deleting Dirk’s birthday suit posts before they go live....I really can’t afford the electroshock therapy sections needed to burn that image out of my minds....and brain bleach concentrations have been lowered by all suppliers so that’s not an option.....

Wait... is that a dolphin? I thought it was a whale.

It is, in fact, a wild orca whale, in the Sea of Cortez. One that I was lucky enough to swim with, her and her baby and a few of her sisters. Just for the record, I was wearing proper swimwear at the time. She happened to be sans-suit, but one tends to overlook such an offense from a Killer Whale. They can pretty much do whatever they want... ;)

T m i !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...you Mods really need to do a better job of deleting Dirk’s birthday suit posts before they go live....I really can’t afford the electroshock therapy sections needed to burn that image out of my minds....and brain bleach concentrations have been lowered by all suppliers so that’s not an option.....

You can't tell me that you don't think a good percentage of those that own a pool don't skinny dip... Or is it that you just don't want to hear about it.

- - - Updated - - -

It is, in fact, a wild orca whale, in the Sea of Cortez. One that I was lucky enough to swim with, her and her baby and a few of her sisters. Just for the record, I was wearing proper swimwear at the time. She happened to be sans-suit, but one tends to overlook such an offense from a Killer Whale. They can pretty much do whatever they want... ;)

I'm so jealous... that must have been amazing!!!

You can't tell me that you don't think a good percentage of those that own a pool don't skinny dip... Or is it that you just don't want to hear about it.

ROI, baby, not TMI. Pools are soooo expensive that you gotta embrace all the reasons there are to own one, as opposed to swimming at the neighbors' or at public pools. Being able to use your own pool, in the privacy of your own backyard, without shame (or causing a public panic), is one of it's better perks!!

ROI, baby, not TMI. Pools are soooo expensive that you gotta embrace all the reasons there are to own one, as opposed to swimming at the neighbors' or at public pools. Being able to use your own pool, in the privacy of your own backyard, without shame (or causing a public panic), is one of it's better perks!!

^^^Agreed... and it addresses the issue of smelly swimsuits :wink: just to stay on topic

So, what you’re saying is that you’re hideous enough that the mere sight of you would incite public panic? :p

Who mentioned eye-drops and putting chemicals in your eyes?? Not me. That’s not what I was talking about. But let me be more specific about what I am saying.

Your eyes have a tri-layered fluid covering them at all times. The first layer that sits on the surface of the cornea is the mucous layer. It comes from the cells in the conjunctiva and it is a hydrophobic layer of mucins that allows the second layer to spread out evenly and protects the delicate cornea. The second layer is the aqueous layer that comes from the lacrimal glands and it is a complex soup of water, salts & electrolytes, pH buffers (citric acid/citrate and other acid-salts), proteins, enzymes and antibodies. The aqueous layer is responsible not only for osmotic regluation (pressure changes caused by salinity changes) but also pH regulation and infectious disease control. The third and final layer (between the air and the aqueous layer) is a hydrophobic lipid layer composed of oils that forms a coating over the aqueous layer, lubriucates the eye and keeps the eye from losing water. So, you can think of the tear layer as something like a soap bubble where a thin water layer is maintained between two hydrophobic layers.

When you rub your eyes, you mechanically remove this trilayer film and and expose your cornea to pool water. You also inadvertently push water into your lacrimal glands and conjunctiva where the chlorine will irritate the sensitive tissue there. Simply coming up out of the water and shaking your head (like dogs do) while blinking will easily push away the pool water from your eyes. The outer lipid layer is what allows you to open your eyes under water as the oil film will repel the pool water. The aqueous layer has buffers in it that will keep the pH from changing. If one plans on being in a pool for several hours, then it is advisable to get a good pair of swimmer’s goggles to help protect your eyes. If you plan to jump in and jump out, then simply shaking your head and blinking will do.

But yes, if you decide to use muriatic acid as eye drops, then you’ll very likely go blind as the aqueous layer will have a hard time dealing with the low pH....

Do you subscribe to Water&Health??

Do you subscribe to Water&Health??

No. Then again I don’t subscribe to any magazines or newspapers as it is a well-known “fact” that the pages are laced with mind control drugs that work by direct skin absorption....now if you’ll excuse me, I need to restock my tin foil supply, I’m running low....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.