Small Tub Moved - preparing for winter

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
Pool Size
I have a small 6' round Solana tub that is 3' deep and is powered by 110 v. My wife and I love this tub as it stays 104 degrees 24 , 7 through out the winter months. Great for a quick warm up with coffee in the morning and for a night time glass of wine on a cold dreary evening. Power consumption is low maybe $15 a month.

We recently moved and we moved the tub onto a new pad and are getting is ready for the winter months ahead. I am replacing the pump unit and considering changing my sanitation plan as well.

Sanitation in the past was done with Biquanide, Peroxide shock and all the associated conditioners, scale inhibitors and special filter cleaning solutions. Price was high for products but not crazy high for the small tub and I made a point to drain, clean and refill every 3 to 4 months. We did notice the slime ring especially if using the jets and aerators but for still water soaks the system worked well with weekly additions of the products and only with 2 person use.

So why change? Well I am new to TFP and we recently dialed in the old pool at our new home. New Old House, New Old Pool....

I like the TFP system and it would be nice to have both pool and spa using the same products and testing procedures. Also I am bit concerned about the Biguanide chemical soup I am stewing in and the related volatiles.

So am I going to have an issue converting this spa over? It has been drained and empty for 3 months now during the move and repair work.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks.

Oly,

I just bought a used spa, so my experience is limited...

I cleaned it twice with a product called Ahh-Some, which purges all the lines and makes a mess with all the stuff it removes from the pipes... Ewww!!!

After that, I bought a small Saltwater cell, which cost less than $200 bucks.. Added salt and it seems to be purring along.

Let's see if we can get some more experienced spa guys to chime in...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think a saltwater cell would make this How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?) even easier. I've followed that recipe for over 2 years without any issues using the hot tub through all seasons. After the initial dial in period (first few days) I just add bleach using a shot glass after a soak. You get a feel for how many shots (or partial shots) are required for bather load and to get it to shock level, etc. pH holds steady for long periods of time. I drain and refill every 3-4 mos always using Ahh-Some. Water is always clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.