Small sporadic algae patches I can't explain

jmbuys

Jun 13, 2018
MA
Thanks to TFP I've had fantastic luck keeping the pool balanced the last several years. honestly no problems but the last 3-4 weeks seeing small random patches of algae. When I say small maybe a strip 3 inch by 6 inch etc, 2-3 of these in random areas every 2-3 days....hit them w/ the brush and all good. Water is and has been completely balanced (measured 2x week), full brush 1x week, no changes to variable speed pump settings or pressure, liquid chlorine daily and poly quat maint. dose 1x/week. Every water reading has been:

FC 6-8 (never drops below 6)
CC: 0 (never above 0)
pH: 7.4-7.5
TA: 60
CYA: 50

The spots never show up in the same place....so odd.

Now the 2 variables this season:
1. I'm in the Northeast and we have had a TON of rain. No overflows but water frequently over skimmers.
2. My pool robot died earlier in the season, and we have lots of trees so def. more sediment at bottom of pool because I hate to vacuum and spoiled by the robot. New one next week

Even though the water has been correctly balanced and proper pumping and brushing could either of the 2 new variables described above be causing the problem? Is there something I'm missing or should I just not worry about it? Not sure what else to check.

Reactions: cdadams1223
Thanks to TFP I've had fantastic luck keeping the pool balanced the last several years. honestly no problems but the last 3-4 weeks seeing small random patches of algae. When I say small maybe a strip 3 inch by 6 inch etc, 2-3 of these in random areas every 2-3 days....hit them w/ the brush and all good. Water is and has been completely balanced (measured 2x week), full brush 1x week, no changes to variable speed pump settings or pressure, liquid chlorine daily and poly quat maint. dose 1x/week. Every water reading has been:

FC 6-8 (never drops below 6)
CC: 0 (never above 0)
pH: 7.4-7.5
TA: 60
CYA: 50

The spots never show up in the same place....so odd.

Now the 2 variables this season:
1. I'm in the Northeast and we have had a TON of rain. No overflows but water frequently over skimmers.
2. My pool robot died earlier in the season, and we have lots of trees so def. more sediment at bottom of pool because I hate to vacuum and spoiled by the robot. New one next week

Even though the water has been correctly balanced and proper pumping and brushing could either of the 2 new variables described above be causing the problem? Is there something I'm missing or should I just not worry about it? Not sure what else to check.
Have you tried performing an OCLT? If not, go here: Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Reactions: Pauls234
You appear to be doing all the right things, but I've had similar occurrences on occasion and it's frustrating.

Are you certain it's algae vs dirt/pollen/debris settling?

Can you grab it with your fingers or does it mostly just poof away? If you can manage to get a feel and it is more slimey/slippery than gritty then likely algae.

I'd probably raise to SLAM level for a day or two and see if that clears it up and otherwise keep up the regular brushing you are doing.

Reactions: cdadams1223
You appear to be doing all the right things, but I've had similar occurrences on occasion and it's frustrating.

Are you certain it's algae vs dirt/pollen/debris settling?

Can you grab it with your fingers or does it mostly just poof away? If you can manage to get a feel and it is more slimey/slippery than gritty then likely algae.

I'd probably raise to SLAM level for a day or two and see if that clears it up and otherwise keep up the regular brushing you are doing.
Thanks, it is algae. I may try brushing a bit more often and see how it goes after getting back into robot routine....if it keeps happening will try a SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.