Digitalvic

Jan 17, 2022
Novato
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

I am in Northern California. Bought a house with a pool spring of 2021. I noticed a 1/2 inch a day pool leak during the summer and got a Leak Detection company locate the leak in my light fixture. It took the Leak Detection 3 visits to find the leak, which cost me about $1k. My pool has an attached spa. No waterfalls or any other features.

I have had my pool covered with a solar cover (not sealed) for about a 9 days and I am seeing a 14/32 inch water loss. temps are around 50-60 during the day and 40 in the evenings. I have tried doing a bucket test and Im losing a bit more on the pool side. I have called the company that performed the leak test, but they told me its not enough of a leak for them to be able to find the source. They also told me that it may not be a leak. I have called a few other leak detection companies and they told me the same thing. I do have a tiny drip of water coming from the pool filter where the gasket is. I tried fixing this a few times and have tightened it. But even this is not very much. It is just a drip or so.

If it is a leak, it is miniscule, that detecting where could be difficult. It is too cold for me to dive into the pool to even try.

Question is, do you folks think this is a leak? If so, I do have a company that is willing to check, but they are scheduled over month out. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: So I have a question(s). How exactly did they attempt to find the leaks previously? Was it with dye coloring, did they physically go in the water? Did they use listening scopes, deck plates, or other sensitive listening devices? Did they pressurize the system for these tests?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: So I have a question(s). How exactly did they attempt to find the leaks previously? Was it with dye coloring, did they physically go in the water? Did they use listening scopes, deck plates, or other sensitive listening devices? Did they pressurize the system for these tests?
Hi, Texas Splash,

They pressure tested each line (2x). Then dye test at each return line. And then finally, they dove in and checked the main drain and the light fixture.

I also did a dye test on the main drain and light fixture before I even called them, but I guess I was not good enough to find the issue in the light fixture.

I am guessing that the issue is likely the light fixture again. And if that is the case, I will just have to wait till it gets warmer. Just thought I'd ask to see if you folks think it is a leak or if its just me overthinking. Now that I've had a leak, I am more privy to thinking of the worst.

Thanks!

Edit: Added more info

Something to monitor I suppose. :scratch: We know that water loss is common in the winter simply due to the drier air. Wind maybe not so much for you with the cover on. Since pressure testing ruled-out the plumbing, it would see(common) and patching at the rear of the niche can sometimes be frustrating. In warmer water, I would check the drain again though. I suspect you have a hydrostatic valve and sometimes their seal gets compromised with a bit of grit or debris. Tough to do a DIY dye test down there unless you have portable air to go slow and take your time. :snorkle:

@Texas Splash, yes, I will definitely check the drain again as well as the light fixture. I don't know if I have a hydrostatic valve, but I will take a better look next time.

@wireform, that makes sense. This is my first winter season with a pool, so I really dont know what to expect. I just did not think that I can lose that much with a cover. And again, its not perfectly sealed at all.

Update on this. I turned off my pool pump for 2 days and noticed no water loss at all.

I think the issue could just be the small leak in my pool filter's o-ring. There are 2 drip spots that is continuous while the pump is running. I've tried removing and reapplying, but still getting the drips. Looks like I need an o-ring lube (which I just purchased). I do run my pump 4 hours a day.

I turned off my pool pump for 2 days and noticed no water loss at all.
That would be indicative of a pressure side leak. The filter could be the culprit if it's enough to account for the loss - coupled with evaporation of course. Hopefully nothing in the lines themselves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.