Small leak Hayward Super Pump Drain Plug

skillset

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Central NJ
Hi All,

Every year when I open, I need to really fuss with getting the two drain plugs to not leak when I re-insert them. I think the pump housing design is terrible for these plugs. The front plug threading on my pump is a bit "stripped" so I need to get it just right not to leak. That one is good now. But, I can't get my right plug to stop leaking. As you can see in the pic, the pump is very close to the sand filter (a bad decision) so it's a bit of pain to get at the drain plug.

Here's what I've tried: I tried another drain plug. Both plugs have what appears to be good rubber rings. I've used PTFE tape. Still getting a drip with the pump is on - the water moves to the back and accumulates in the plastic foot as you can see. I guess I could try and tighten even further with a plier but I'm afraid of stripping. I've gotten it pretty tight using a vice grip (but not forcing anything). I noticed, too, that you can't access the right drain from inside the pump basket like you can with the forward drain plug.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Tighten more? I'm thinking, too, that I don't even need this plug since I can drain the pump basket with the forward plug. I really don't want to seal it up with anything permanent but would love to hear if anyone has done this and what they used. I guess I can live with the leak - it's a only a drop every few seconds, but like most of you out there - I like a bit of perfection with my equipment.

Pump Drain Cap.JPG

Is there an o ring around the plug? The o ring should be sealing it and not the threads... Did you lube the o ring?

Both plugs I had - not new- had a rubber FLAT washer. I went ahead and ordered 2 replacement plugs and these look to have a rubber round o-ring so hoping these will work. I didnt try lube - just PTFE tape. In the meantime, the leak has gotten better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.