Small heat pump for 20K pool in Bay Area?

lynhnn

Apr 14, 2022
San Jose, CA
I have solar cover and only open to swim and then close immediately. The pool water is pretty hot in late summer. However, I want to add a small heat pump to keep the water more constant for early and late summer. I'd like to tap in the same 20amp circuit lines at the pump because the pump is consuming about 1amp at low speed.
I'm thinking of a Fibropool FH055 Titanium as it is using 13amp and install it myself.

Please advise.

From the manual it needs a 240v connection.. You would need to run its own 240V 20 amp circuit.. It will be using 2750 watts, 14 amps and a 240v 20 amp breaker can supply up to 4800 watts so you will be good to go.. :)

From the manual it needs a 240v connection.. You would need to run its own 240V 20 amp circuit.. It will be using 2750 watts, 14 amps and a 240v 20 amp breaker can supply up to 4800 watts so you will be good to go.. :)
Yes I do have 2 hot wires (240v) at the pump running from a dual 20amp breaker on the panel. Is it a good heat pump or do I have other alternatives? I assume the same PVC pipes can be rerouted to the heat pump?

Aquacal are the gold standard for pool heat pumps... There 55 also pulls 2700 watts/2.7kw but they require a bigger 30 amp fuse saying the heater can pull up to 22.6 amps probably on start up... I would say you really need to go to a 30 amp fuse with wire to handle that size load...

A far as if the heater you are asking about is good I have no idea...

1650485862118.png

The problem is that I don't want (and won't be able) to dig and run new 30 amp lines to the pump location as the over crowded main panel is across the pool and the patio ... I really want to reuse the 20amp lines that are already at the pump. So do you find any good unit that can take 20amp?

I really want to reuse the 20amp lines that are already at the pump.

You cannot do that. You must size the pump load for the maximum the pump can draw. Probably around 8 amps.

In addition NEC says a circuit shall not be loaded more then 80% of capacity, or 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit. So you have maybe 8 amps available on the pump circuit.

What model pump do you have?

Post a pic of the motor data plate on your pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
6 amps for the pump motor so you can put 10 amps of other devices on the 20 amp circuit.

I only run the pump at low speed which uses < 1amp. I really want to consider to squeeze this Fibropool FH055 as it says taking 13amp ??? Is it possible?

No.

No licensed electrician should do that hookup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This site says 17 Amps power-220 volts

And you should read this...

And a 55K BTU HP will heat your 20K pool less then 1/3 degree/hour best case.

It's not possible for the heat pump with the existing wiring then. I have nature gas run to the pump. Will a nature gas heater use the existing 1 1/2 PVC pipes to hook up ? I don't have much room for a big unit. Do you recommend something that work? Again, I'm not heating up water instantly so undersize is ok.

A NG gas heater will connect to 1.5" pipes.

What is the capacity of the gas service at your house?

Post pics of your gas meter showing the data plate giving the CFM of the gas meter.

What space do you have for a heater?

Post pics of the area.

That space looks tight for any gas heater.

Let's use the Raypak Avia heater as an example - https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/100-10000111.pdf

In addition if that space has walls and a roof you will need to vent the heater to a chimney and possibly have a fresh air intake pipe. See page 10.

Page 7 says:

For ease of servicing, we recommend a clearance of at
least 24" (610 mm) for both the left and right side, and
also the top. This will enable the heater to be serviced in
its installed location, that is, without needing to move the
header.

Clearances less than these may require removal of the
heater to service either the heat exchanger or the burner.
In either case, the heater must be installed in a manner
that will enable the heater to be serviced without removing
any structure around the heater.

1650498064483.png

Pentair MasterTemp is about the same dimensions...

1650498533815.png

What do you think about this one ?

Hayward W3H200FDN Universal H-Series 200,000 BTU Natural Gas​

It is a fine heater and will fit within your current gas service capacity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.