Small chunks plaster in pump basket

dphanes

Aug 19, 2020
NC
Our gunite pool was finished 3 months ago and a couple of times I’d have seen small chunks of plaster in the pump basket. Most have only been 1/8 inch in diameter. This evening one is in there that is about 3/4 inch long and about 1/8 inch wide.

Has anybody else had this happen? Am wondering if it is just left over around the main drains under the plastic cover or something more damaging.

Thanks in advance

As you state, this could be fragments in the drain line that finally reached the pump. That 3/4" piece would have needed to fit through the drain holes in that bottom drain. Those holes are fairly small but lots of them. So could that piece have made it way through the drain or maybe already in the suction line when the drain cover was put on?
The only sure way to know is to inspect your pool plaster. Obviously its cold water now but maybe try to look from surface.
Also look where the plaster meets the waterline tiles to see if anything obvious. Need to check the spa as well.
what type of cleaner do you have? Have you noticed any plaster debris in it? If so, then it could be from the plaster surface. If not, then it may be just pieces in the suction line as you suspected that made its way finally to the pump.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
As both Herman and Jim have said, that is pretty common. I found plaster bits for about 6 months. I expected them the first week or two. Then I got concerned with seeing them 3-4 months later, same as you. Do a quick look around but I suspect that it is just residual pieces that were fairly well stuck to the inside of the line, that finally broke loose.

--Jeff

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.