Small amounts of dead algae always on bottom of pool

Jun 1, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hey there,

Second year with the pool. Last year found this place and the TFP way and have had no problems balancing water since then. However, i think i may have a circulation problem. I have an above ground, 14k gallon pool with a vinyl liner. Even last year when my water was perfectly balanced and clear, i would still see small pockets of dead algae on the bottom of the pool in the divots caused by people's feet. Sweeping it away or using the robot vacuum would keep it clear for a day or so and then it would be back. Tests show no CC, so i know nothing is growing in there. I only have 1 return, and i have tried both pointing in at the floor and having it pointed farther up, but nothing seems to keep the floor totally clean.

What can I do?

If your pool water absolutely stayed above the minimum FC based on your CYA at all times, then it is unlikely to get algae. But circulation plays into that, and why brushing the pool is very important.

It has, which is why this is very strange. I had this problem last year too. Brushing the algae makes it puff away into the water for awhile, but it always comes back.

Can you recommend the proper way to point my return? Should it be pointed at the floor or farther up? Or is there a product i can buy to help increase circulation?

In your pool I suspect pointing it down is best.

I know there were some directional fittings touted last year on the forum. Do a search, put in some keywords, select G for the best results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.