Slowly progressing...

I was off from both jobs today, so I’m finally able to work on the pool.
The brand new pump I bought from inyopools.com was leaking.
What a piece of junk!...it was only 150 bucks, you get what you pay for of course.
I probably spent 2 hours or so trying to fix the two places it was leaking from.

The screw that goes here...
new pump junk.jpg
stripped the plastic when it was assembled, so it was dripping from there...that was an easy fix, I drilled it a tiny bit bigger and put a little fatter screw in there.

The other spot where it was leaking, not so easy to fix. The strainer housing just pushes on to the pump cover and “seals” with an o-ring...yea right
new pump junk2.jpg
new pump junk3.jpg
(I should have taken my own pics, but I just wanted to fix it...I was ****** off because I shouldn’t have had to mess with a brand new pump)

...then this cheap plastic horseshoe clip holds them together.
clip.jpg

That setup is just cheap and crappy. I found a flat, round, rubber gasket in my pool stuff that I wanted to use in between housing and the cover. I had to make the hole a little bigger to fit over the snout where the o-ring goes, and I tried a couple different ways to seat the gasket. Mind you, every time I had to disconnect the pump, bring it upstairs to my work bench, take it apart, mess with it, put it back together, bring it downstairs, hook it back up, and run it to see if it still leaked. I must have done that at least 5 times.

So on the last time putting it back together, guess what happened to the cheap plastic clip?
clip junk.jpg
that was deflating.

I had to make a clip like that out of this white, plastic disc I had in my pool stuff...probably from the same kit as the gasket I used. I’ll take a pic of it when I clean the strainer basket, I was pretty proud of that and it worked perfect!

Anyway, after all that, it still leaks...just drips really, very little. Way less than before. This is how much after it was running for at least an hour...
pump drip.jpg
I’m ok with that for now, but I’ll be looking for another new pump. Maybe a Harris...it looks like their strainer housing is actually bolted to the pump, we’ll see.

I added some salt and also brought my solar cover/reel out and mounted it back up...busy day today!
solar cover on.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Kim!

I built a small, temporary platform using a few pieces from the original ladder....

platform.jpg

...I wanted to use the new (to me) inside stairs that I bought last year from an elderly couple on Craigslist.
I also wanted to be able to take the ladder off at night, or when we’re not home.

platform2.jpg
More changes coming, I revised the design a few times...trying to source some hog wire locally to make some railings.
Stay tuned!

P.S. I spent half this past Saturday driving up to MA (2 hours one way!) to get plexiglass for the solar pool heaters I’m building.
My wife and 2 of my boys came for the ride, and we stopped at Sonic on the way home for lunch...it was a good day!

Last edited:
What is CL? Also, no need to test for BR unless you are using bromine in your pool.

Are you using your SWG yet? If so, how is it doing with that salt level (keeping in mind strips are probably not accurate)? I use K-1766 test for salt, you might want to consider it.

I may be saying what you already know, but that FC is too low for that CYA, and the CYA is too low for a saltwater pool. Is the pool clear? If so, you‘ll need to bump CYA up to 70, bump your FC to 5 with liquid chlorine, then let the salt cell maintain.

Reactions: kimkats
Me too!...thanks Kelly!

The water has been clear since I opened it. All I’ve done is add water and salt after removing the winter cover...I haven’t even been in it to vacuum or scrub yet!
I will do the tests again, it was my first time using the kit so my readings might not be as accurate as they should be.

No worries! I hope you got the speedstir so you can feel like a real mad scientist...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.