Slowly progressing...

Steppers=pavers=any kind of stone type thing you can put under the skimmer/return area to keep the water from washing out the sand in that area. Like this:
Shop Square Red Patio Stone (Common: 12-in x 12-in; Actual: 11.7-in x 11.7-in) at Lowes.com

Use the size that works for you and your pool.
Ahhh...lol...I get what you’re saying now! haha
I'm still figuring out the drain/drainage for around the pool, but thank you for the ideas!

kimkats said:
BOOOOOOOOOOOO on that rain :(
I’m so deflated by the rain...I was looking forward all week to work on it Saturday and in the morning on Sunday. We didn’t get anything done.

kimkats said:
SWEET on 12/18 years!!! Enjoy your time inside together :hug:

Kim:kim:
Thank you!...crazy how time flies!

I was finally able to do some work on the pool yesterday after dinner...no rain and I was off from Home Depot!

I finished what my 11 year old started earlier in the day...got rid of all the rocks around the pool!
Then my wife and I bolted the ends of the wall together, I had to jockey it around a little to get it to completely sit in the bottom rail, but it’s in there! I also put the bead receiver on just to stabilize it until tomorrow after work.

pool wall2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Partsman,

Are you saying so I'm clear you cut off the GFCI cord end and replaced it with a regular cord end? Is the cord/pool pump plugged into a GFCI receptacle on your house now instead? Is it plugged into a GFCI Protected circuit from your home?

If not, I strongly encourage you to unplug it immediately, as you are potentially putting your family at risk of being electrocuted should there be a fault in the system. GFCI's are designed to respond quicker to power faults or grounding issues. You should never use any electrical equipment outdoors unless its GFCI protected. If you dont know how to change the receptacle on the exterior of your home to to a GFCI receptacle. Then you can buy an adapter that has a cord end, GFCI, then the female side that you would plug into. Home depot has them.

So after work today, and after pizza for dinner...I had to run down to my local Ace for a couple of box adapters for the filter/swg plumbing. When I got back, my in laws were here dropping off a radial arm saw they got from a friend that didn’t want it. It was late to start working on the pool, so we decided to take the kids to Dairy Queen. Yum!

When we got back, I set the pump on it’s mount next to the filter housing on the tray they came with to see how the pump outlet lined up with the filter inlet...it didn’t. Someone clocked the pump outlet at 9 (which put the drain plug at 3)...

old pump.jpg
...that flat spot is supposed to be on the bottom.

I unbolted the pump and turned the outlet to 12 o clock, where it should be...

old pump2.jpg

I have to get a few more pieces to connect everything, but I’m on vacation now (as of 5pm today!) so I should have time to get things done!

pump-filter.jpg

Last edited:
It does not get much better than a start of vacy, pizza for dinner, gifts dropped off (that is a big score there!), THEN Dairy Queen with the family!!!! Good living!

Now onto that pump........why???? why would they turn it that way? Thank goodness you have tools and know how to use them to fix that.

#40Fan------------better lay off my Ace Hardware!! LOL I loves me some Ace Hardware! Everyone that works there is very kind and it is cheap and on the way home and and and....

I had to giggle when I read Ace Hardware.
The funny thing is that it’s right across the street (and 2 big parking lots) from the Home Depot where I work part time! They had the pieces I needed in stock as opposed to waiting days from HD or anywhere online.
On a side note, the Ace just remodeled the whole inside of the store and seem to be holding their own, coexisting with HD so close.

It does not get much better than a start of vacy, pizza for dinner, gifts dropped off (that is a big score there!), THEN Dairy Queen with the family!!!! Good living!
Yes!...it was a great Friday! lol

kimkats said:
Now onto that pump........why???? why would they turn it that way? Thank goodness you have tools and know how to use them to fix that.
The only reason I can think of is because they couldn’t get the strainer housing to sit straight up and down when they tightened it to the pump inlet. I tried, and it still ended up perpendicular. Then I put a union in between and it’s fine now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My father in law and I got some stuff done today...finally...in between shade and water breaks...it was hot...

plastic sheet.jpg
...we got the plastic sheet taped to the lower wall to prevent the possibility of the sand washing out.

We also glued the wall foam up, right to the top edge then put the bead receiver on...everything went together nice and smooth...

plastic-sand-foam.jpg
...you can also see in that pic we spread out and leveled the sand!

Then the rain came (of course) and we had to stop about 6:30...Sarah and her mom grilled up some burgers, then the power went out!...it was great lol ...it came back on about 8-8:30 so it wasn’t that bad. I could finally take a shower!

Last edited:
What kind of foam wall are you using? I've got to do more research on my AGP that I'm setting up right now if I should use one or not. 18X33X52.
I bought a ‘liner kit’ from poolsupplies.com eBay store (savemoreonpoolsupplies) it had the wall foam, spray adhesive, cove molding, and a liner pad.
They do sell it separate on their website if that’s all you’re looking for.

Did you put the cove under the plastic sheeting or over it?

You and your FIL did great work! Nice he was willing to help out! I bet it was hot, sweaty work! THEN to not be able to take a shower right away :shock: At least you had yumms for the tumms!

You will be swimming before too long at this pace!

Did you put the cove under the plastic sheeting or over it?
We didn’t put the cove on yet, we were still leveling the sand when it started raining.

kimkats said:
You and your FIL did great work! Nice he was willing to help out! I bet it was hot, sweaty work! THEN to not be able to take a shower right away :shock: At least you had yumms for the tumms!
He’s been helping me a ton with this pool! I think he’s into it as much as I am! lol

kimkats said:
You will be swimming before too long at this pace!

I hope so!

I hope I catch you before you get too much done-------------STOP!!!!

The cove should sit on the bare earth. The sand is put ON the cove bottom "leg". That is how it works to keep the sand in the pool walls.

I have been thinking about the plastic sheeting as well...........I worry it is going to trap moisture between it and the pool wall which may cause rust :(

If you decide to keep the plastic sheeting the cove should be under is my thinking. That will keep every thing from going under pool wall. I hope you are following what I am saying.

I hope I catch you before you get too much done-------------STOP!!!!

The cove should sit on the bare earth. The sand is put ON the cove bottom "leg". That is how it works to keep the sand in the pool walls.
From what I understand from reading all I can about setting up the base, isn’t the cove supposed to support the liner transition where the side meets the floor?
How does the cove support this area if it’s under the sand?

kimkats said:
I have been thinking about the plastic sheeting as well...........I worry it is going to trap moisture between it and the pool wall which may cause rust :(

If you decide to keep the plastic sheeting the cove should be under is my thinking. That will keep every thing from going under pool wall. I hope you are following what I am saying.
I understand completely what you are saying, and I thank you for your input!

The plastic is to keep the sand from washing out under the bottom rail, it is packed pretty tight up against it so I think it will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.