Slow leak, new liner and skimmers

jdubs12

Sep 15, 2020
Fort Wayne, IN
Okay, so I have read all through the other posts and how to establish where a leak is coming from, etc. We just got a new pump, new skimmers and a new liner, so the leak could be in a whole host of places. I turned the pump off and it is still losing water so from my research it has to be either the skimmers/skimmer plumbing or the liner, right? I have called the company that put the liner in and they said to keep an eye on it for one more day. Here is a maybe dumb question. The liner stretches, right? Is it possible the weight of the water is just taking a little longer to stretch the liner and perhaps that is the reason for the drop in water? It dropped about an inch in 13 hours and another 1/3 of an inch in 7 hours. And if there is a leak, how do they figure out where it is coming from? I'm paranoid water is going to get behind the liner too. Should that be a concern? I'm so frustrated because it looks so good and we have spent all this time and money trying to get it all fixed up just to have this issue.

Leaks, they are so much fun... The easy way to find a leak is to not add any water and where the water stops dropping is where the leak is at...

You can run the pump until it gets about 1/3 of the way down the skimmer, then it has to be shut off... If it is a slow leak it could take forever to stop going down or it could take hours if it is a skimmer... who knows where it will stop... from what you observed it is dropping about 1.5 inches in 24 hours...

You can manually put chlorine in the pool and brush it in and move the water around the pool also run the robot...

Reactions: jdubs12
Hey dubs and Welcome !!! Do a bucket test. Your loss seems high to be evaporation, but this time of year in Indiana you have a warmish pool during the day and very cool nights where you will lose a bunch of water.

It’s not very likely that it’s just evaporation but it is totally possible.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Hey dubs and Welcome !!! Do a bucket test. Your loss seems high to be evaporation, but this time of year in Indiana you have a warmish pool during the day and very cool nights where you will lose a bunch of water.

It’s not very likely that it’s just evaporation but it is totally possible.
Thanks! I'll do a bucket test just to be sure. Otherwise it's a lot of other stuff so this is an easy test.

Reactions: Newdude
On our new pool a couple of years ago two leaks developed. One was at the connection to the stairs. The pool builder fixed that but it kept leaking. They came back out and discovered a tear at the light niche. They replaced the liner. My take is that the most likely place for a liner leak is whereever it has been cut..

On our new pool a couple of years ago two leaks developed. One was at the connection to the stairs. The pool builder fixed that but it kept leaking. They came back out and discovered a tear at the light niche. They replaced the liner. My take is that the most likely place for a liner leak is whereever it has been cut..
Thanks Dave. I'm more than a little frustrated that the pool company isn't doing the investigating. I guess the good part is I have the second half of the liner payment and they aren't getting it until we solve this issue.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.