Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good morning,
I have a very slow leak in/on my pump. At the end of the day there is probably about 1/2- 1 cup of water that surrounds my pump. I have removed the rings and seals and replaced them. I don't see any visible cracks. I also cannot locate the leak. I am not able to visualize where the water is coming from. It just appears on the ground under the pump.

Any troubleshooting tips that anyone can provide?

Good morning,
I have a very slow leak in/on my pump. At the end of the day there is probably about 1/2- 1 cup of water that surrounds my pump. I have removed the rings and seals and replaced them. I don't see any visible cracks. I also cannot locate the leak. I am not able to visualize where the water is coming from. It just appears on the ground under the pump.

Any troubleshooting tips that anyone can provide?
Try drying it up quickly and see where it starts pooling,

This is a classic sign of a motor shaft seal leak..

Have you replaced the shaft seal?

The leak itself is not a major problem, but the leaking water will get into the motor bearings and then corrode the whole motor.

There is a small hole under the pump to allow this water to come out.. It is an early warning system that says "Fix this now or buy a new pump later"..

If you have already replaced the shaft seal, it was not done right, you used a cheap seal, or something else is not allowing the seal to seal like it should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

This is a classic sign of a motor shaft seal leak..

Have you replaced the shaft seal?

The leak itself is not a major problem, but the leaking water will get into the motor bearings and then corrode the whole motor.

There is a small hole under the pump to allow this water to come out.. It is an early warning system that says "Fix this now or buy a new pump later"..

If you have already replaced the shaft seal, it was not done right, you used a cheap seal, or something else is not allowing the seal to seal like it should.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for the help - I replaced the motor shaft seal this evening. So far, I do not see any leaking so fingers crossed. It has been running for over an hour and I would have seen the start of water by now. Based on what I was seeing in there - it def looked like this could be it. There was some crusty build up around the seal and it seems it was wet where it shouldn't have been. I did notice a bit of corrosion on the impeller shaft. I did my best to wipe it off, but it did not fully remove. Any thoughts on that? Should I replace the impellar? I had a very difficult time getting the seal onto the shaft of the impeller - It WOULD NOT go on. I had to put a wee bit of magic lube on the shaft to get get the seal back on. Thoughts?