Slamming

Time to replace the motor on the pump?

You can SLAM without running your pump 24 hours. It will take much longer and you really need to brush the pool daily to multiple times daily.

Time to replace the motor on the pump?

You can SLAM without running your pump 24 hours. It will take much longer and you really need to brush the pool daily to multiple times daily.

We've actually replaced the pump once already. Florida is rough on everything...Grr!

Thanks. I will continue to brush away.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I am actually fighting some black algae which is a major pain!

What do you mean it gets to hot? Does the pump actually shut down from the heat or are you just concerned that it is hot to the touch?

The last time it ran overnight it was hotter than usual and you could smell it burning. That may have had something to do with the skimmer when it stopped working.

I discovered that the float valve was in two pieces so we had to seal it back together.

The last time it ran overnight it was hotter than usual and you could smell it burning. That may have had something to do with the skimmer when it stopped working.

I discovered that the float valve was in two pieces so we had to seal it back together.

The pump has a heat limiter built in if I am not mistaken. I would not worry about the running the pump 24/7. That is what they are built to do. Maybe a few others will chime in if they disagree.

Running the pump a prolonged period of time really only increases the volume of water getting skimmed. The water only needs circulated so much. A properly sized pump should be able to basically recycle the pool entirely in about 4-8 hours. As long as the chemicals you are adding are able to circulated well, they don't need to be constantly pumped around by the pool pump in order to do their work of attacking the organics.

I think I've seen it recommended to run the pump more often during a slam, but really a full turn over daily is usually more than enough. You may need to manually vacuum the pool, but again.. the pool doesn't need to run 24/7 or even "a lot".

However, if your pump is getting hot after running a prolonged period of time... then you need to address the issue. Could be the pump itself is the issue, could be some other problem causing the pump to have issues. That's hard for us to say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.