Florence, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
About a month ago I started getting my pool back in usable order from the winter, SLAMming, etc. This year I haven't been able to get it quite as clear and blue and would see sand accumulate under the returns. Even after vacuuming the pool I'd see residue (dead algae?) reappear later in the day throughout the shallow end. Some internet searching led me to the possibility that the sand in my filter is bad and/or I have broken laterals. I've lived here 8 years and have never changed the sand which seems past its lifetime.

I've contacted my pool store about the problem and they say it will probably be weeks until they can come out and do the job. Considering it's mostly a self-diagnosis I'm hoping it's the problem. In the meantime, I've let the maintenance get away from me and the pool is quite green again, so I'm SLAMming again. I've been trying to vacuum to waste when the water level is relatively high.

My question is: it is worth continuing to vacuum it through the filter if it's potentially just going to recycle it back into the pool?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So let's address a couple of your concerns:
- Sand doesn't go bad and need to be changed unless the owner compromises it by adding pool store potions like floc or clarifiers. If you did that in the past, I would change the sand (inspect laterals at same time) and never add those products again. Chlorine only. If you have never added those products, the sand should still be good and only require a good sand deep clean. See HERE.

- To kill algae you need to follow the TFP SLAM Process. Follow that page closely and you'll do well. You already have a TF-100, so you're a step ahead of the game.

If you find later after the SLAM or deep clean that it is indeed sand spitting-out of the returns, then you know you need to go into the filter and check the laterals. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yep, If you have not started the SLAM, deep clean your filter but there is no need to change it, as Pat already says.....just check the level to make sure the filter is about 2/3 full.

Next, Deep Clean that sand and last, SLAM your pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.