LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know I don't post much but I thought I have this figure out. Just recently we went out of state for couple of days. The first day we went out my neighbor called me saying my pool hose broke and the pool is draining. He went and turn off the pump and took care of the leak. Pump was off till we came back couple days later. I have replaced all the hoses with PVC pipes now. Right after that we had a whole week of rain everyday. Right now my water is cloudy/milky looking. I'm trying to do the slam method but my work schedule is crazy. I'm leaving house at 4:30 in the morning and coming back at 5 afternoon. So I have only about 3-4 hours max to work on the slamming. Two days later and water still looks the same. So I do have some questions. How soon after I added bleach I can test it again? Do I have to wait at least an hour or two?

How soon after I added bleach I can test it again?
For verification you reached your target, 20-30 minutes with the pump on is plenty.

For the SLAM process, 2 hours is best testing/adding at first, but many folks schedules get in the way so do the best you can.

If you have anybody you can enlist with a quick training session to test/add FC once or twice while you are away it will help a lot. :)

For verification you reached your target, 20-30 minutes with the pump on is plenty.

For the SLAM process, 2 hours is best testing/adding at first, but many folks schedules get in the way so do the best you can.

If you have anybody you can enlist with a quick training session to test/add FC once or twice while you are away it will help a lot. :)
That's the problem. House is empty whole day. Just my dog inside. Tried to train him but he is color blind ;). Today I ordered new refill kit for my TF-100 since the chemicals I have right now are from last year.

Reactions: Mdragger88
One more thing I forgot to mention. Maybe it's normal I don't know, it's my first season using cartridge filter. Filter been running for two day 24/7 with the water being cloudy/milky pressure have not go up at all. Cleaned the cartridge right before I start running it 24/7. Is this normal?

Cleaned the cartridge right before I start running it 24/7. Is this normal?
If the filter is big enough it may go the whole SLaM ok. Mine did. I cleaned it after just because, not because the PSI went anywhere near the 25% threshold.

I feel embarrassed. The tfkit is actually 3 years old so I don't think I should trust it anymore. It shows me 100 CYA and my new ColorQ pool 7 shows 67. New kit on the way. Should I wait or can I trust ColorQ for now?

The CYA reagent R0013 is very stable. Unless it has been frozen, I would trust that test. The ColorQ is ok for pH and low FC testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I see a progress in the slamming process. Now my question is , we have will be out of state starting tonight and will be back sunday night. Is there anything I can do to keep the process going? I don't have anyone who could do it for me while I'm gone.

Not really. Trichlor will just raise your CYA higher. Raise the FC to SLAM level before you leave. Deal with it when you get home.

You need a SWCG if you travel or unable to manage your pool water chemistry on a frequent basis.

Not really. Trichlor will just raise your CYA higher. Raise the FC to SLAM level before you leave. Deal with it when you get home.

You need a SWCG if you travel or unable to manage your pool water chemistry on a frequent basis.
I have a dosage pump from my long gone saltwater aquarium (identical like this one CLICK HERE ) Can i put it on timer and slam the pool right before I leave?

No experience with that. On your own there.
So I didn't used the automatic dosage pump. But right before we left I raised the FC to SLAM level. Came back last night and water did clear significantly while we were gone. Measured FC again and it went from about 39 down to 17 over the period of two days. I will wait before I SLAM again. Will measure again today after work

Is testing kit chemicals temperature affect the reading? I received my refill for the TF100 and it used it right away. Everything was pretty warm since the envelope was placed inside my mailbox on a hot day. Got a reading of 100 CYA. Next time I measure about 70 and it's still 70. When I was doing slamming I calculated everything based on 100 CYA. Hopefully I didn't damage anything. Anyway my pool is clear again. With my busy schedule and out of state trip I took me about a week to get it back from green/cloudy to crystal clear. I used the liquid chlorine from menards.

It is best to keep the test kit in a climate controlled area for longevity.

CYA reagent is very stable so I doubt that had anything to do with your CYA readings.

Okay. I think I will stick to the liquid chlorine dosing instead of chlorine tablets . How low can I go with FC before I should add again? I should experience any problems if I keep it above 0 all the time? As of now after slamming I try to test it everyday and add whatever I need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.