SLAMing isnt working this time. What am I doing wrong?

aces79

Jun 2, 2018
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I end up having to SLAM before opening every year. It always works without fail.

This time I'm having issues though. I'm not losing any chlorine overnight, but I still have algae.

Is it because I'm not brushing or vacuuming enough?

Usually when I stop losing chlorine, I have crystal clear water with zero algae, but not this time.

If you're not losing chlorine, it doesn't sound like algae. Post a pic of your pool water. Also post some water test results just to be safe. Let's see what's going on there.

By the way, which test kit are you using? Your signature is blank. :(

Reactions: aces79
If you're not losing chlorine, it doesn't sound like algae. Post a pic of your pool water. Also post some water test results just to be safe. Let's see what's going on there.

I'm using the Taylor FAS DPD kit.

Typically when my well water pollutes my pool with iron, it turns brown or red.

Attachments

• 20220424_080431.jpg
    20220424_080431.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220424_080406.jpg
    20220424_080406.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so I'm still guessing this is algae but why is it being so stubborn to remove?
While I would still do the Vitamin C test just to be safe, the bag turning green is odd since you passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test - assuming the test was conducted correctly. There is also a possibility some of the staining is embedded in the plaster which can be more difficult to remove. The green in the bag might just be organic material from all the stuff blooming this time of year too.

Hey Aces !!! What kinda filter you got and when was it deep cleaned last ? Between the opening SLAM and the spring crud falling in, you are probably due.

When you have a minute, Fill Out Your Sig. It really helps us when we have questions about your questions, like now. :)

Hey Aces !!! What kinda filter you got and when was it deep cleaned last ? Between the opening SLAM and the spring crud falling in, you are probably due.

When you have a minute, Fill Out Your Sig. It really helps us when we have questions about your questions, like now. :)
I have a sand filter. We've been backwashing it daily.

Update. My husband brushed the pool cove and stirred up the algae. Then I super shocked the pool. 3 days later, what used to be green algae colored patches, now just look like dirt. My water has no more green tint.

Maybe what I did wrong this time was not brushing it?

My deck doesn't go all the way around the pool and I'm too short to brush or vacuum it without getting in and I was avoiding that because my water temp is only 74 right now.

Is it possible that brushing it was my missing step and maybe I've finally killed it all?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.