I was backwashing every few days, but now I've learned only to backwash when the clean filter pressure goes up 25%.
Great!
I just today added a cup of de powder to the sand filter, like hours ago.
In your filter, I would not add a cup...did you follow these instructions. I think a 1/4 cup is going to be plenty. You might check your pressures...

I followed the instructions from this site. I added a quarter of a cup at a time through the skimmer, Until the pressure went up by 1PSI. Should I not have added the de powder? I am new to this and welcome all suggestions. Thanks

Nope, you are good! Great job.

Many of the smaller AGP filters work great with 1/4 cup. If you got the 1psi rise, then you are good!!!

Just checking!

Yes I added a quartercup at a time until i got the 1psi rise, waiting 2 minutes between cups, since then about 2.5 hrs has gone by and my pressure has risen and additional 1psi and my pool is very clean...absolutely zero debris. I'm monitoring it.......that's all I can do, right? Starting pressure was 11 added de went to 12, 2.5 hrs later 13.

I have only been vacuuming to waste because I feel like what I am vacuuming (dead algae I think) is so small that it would travel through the sand filter and back into the pool. Now that I'm using the de powder would it be OK to vacuum to filter to save water and everything else? Or keep sending to waste? By the way I appreciate the responses and feedback more than you guys know and feel like an idiot for asking all these questions.

I have only been vacuuming to waste because I feel like what I am vacuuming (dead algae I think) is so small that it would travel through the sand filter and back into the pool. Now that I'm using the de powder would it be OK to vacuum to filter to save water and everything else? Or keep sending to waste? By the way I appreciate the responses and feedback more than you guys know and feel like an idiot for asking all these questions.
Yes, just watch the pressure as it may rise quicker holding back more stuff.

Reactions: PoolStored
Update: I am keeping the the pool at slam level even though I have met all the criteria to be completed, while I still vacuum a miniscule amount of dead algae daily. Question: I have a set of plastic ladder steps that are less than a month old. I pulled these out 3 days into the slam, they are spotless. They are also filled with sand. I've wiped the exterior down with chlorine and pressure washed, however when I pulled them out and they drained there was a very light green tint to the water. If I fill the inner cavities where the sand resides with full strength chlorine, let them drain, and repeat a few times will I be OK to put them back in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still at slam level of 20 on fc. Still vacuuming dead algae off of the bottom daily. Could someone give me an estimate on how long it could take for this sand filter to clean it up to the point where I'm not vacuuming daily? Please.

Drill holes in the ladder base caps if you can't remove them. Ladders are horrible for holding alage. Just to share with you, as I've done on a few threads, this is my pool 6 days after opening. I consistently cleaned it, letting FC drop now. There should be a rinse on the filter, keep rinsing after vacuum, you'll lose some water but no issues. Backwash when high psi. 20230622_175411.jpg

I sense your frustration but the blunt answer is it takes as long as it takes. Some SLAMs are completed in 24-48 hours.........some take a few weeks. The diligence of the pool owner seems to have a lot of influence on that time.

Reactions: koffey
Koffey, my pool steps have been out of the pool for probably 5 -7 days, there is nothing in my pool but sparkling clear water that is being pumped through my filter. The steps are sitting on the deck, they have sand in the base to weight them down, I have taken the hand rails off and filled the steps with straight chlorine. I will flush the chlorine and refill before putting them back in the pool. I have cleaned the outside of the steps with chlorine and pressure washed.
Duraleigh, the frustration doesn't come from the work that has to be put in, it comes from me not knowing if putting in the work and being persistent is eventually gonna solve the problem. I keep thinking I'm gonna do this for weeks and someone will pop on here and say something like, "Hey dummy you need to change the sand out in your filter and your problem will go away." And I do that and it does go away. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that this is normal and it will clear up if I keep doing what I'm doing. Thank you all for your recommendations and responses it is very much appreciated.

This is the ends of my ladder, been in the pool 3 times. Clean them frequently. Just saying, may not be the case in your scenario. But alage thrives there lol.

Attachments

• 20230622_183913.jpg
    20230622_183913.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230622_183929.jpg
    20230622_183929.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 4
Koffey, thanks for sending pics. Yeah mine wasn't that bad, because they were only a month old, I literally just bought them.
Wireform, I will absolutely adjust my fc level from 20 to 24 for a cya of 60, thanks.

When I do slams I also use a robotic cleaner and run quite a few back to back cycles with the fine filter trapping almost everything it pulls in. Benefit # 2 is it also brushes the walls and all as much as its capabilities allow it to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.