SLAM with higher CYA

LIpool23

May 8, 2024
Long Island NY
Purchased this house with a pool in the fall and just opened to a green pool. I connected all the equipment and got it running. Used a taylor 2006 salt test kit. When I measured CYA at the beginning it was 0, so I added 10lbs and a day later it was still less than 20. I started adding liquid chlorine to begin a SLAM. I didn't test CYA again but got FC to 25 and wasn't seeing too much progress. I got a vacuum and vacuumed the bottom (recirc, no waste connection). I added another 5lbs of CYA because I got lazy and used test strips that indicated a low CYA. I think the CYA was on the bottom and mixed after vacuuming. After I used the test kit and my readings were above 100, did the diluted test and got a reading of 140. I began running a pump at one end to pump out and a garden hose at the other to add water. Took a sample to the pool store as I wait for more reagent and the results are below (note they said FC was 20 but they could only enter up to 15). I know it is wasteful of chlorine to do a SLAM at this high of a CYA but I have 9 gallons of liquid chlorine already, my FC is already high (20), and I believe it is ok to have a higher CYA with a salt water pool. Just looking for advise on the next step. Thanks in advance.

PT_240523.jpg

I tested my CYA and it went up to 140 again without me adding anything. On Saturday I opened up the filter, drained the water, and realized the stabilizer I must have vacuumed up was still in there (over a week). I will need to add a remote drain as you can't reach the drain plug when the filter is in place. At this point I was annoyed all my drain/fill time was wasted so out of annoyance I added 4lbs of non-chlorine shock (figured might help at a high CYA and maybe supercharge chlorine at night where there is no UV to break down CC?) and 8 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine to get to SLAM levels if my CYA was closer to 100 without stabilizer being mixed. Woke up Sunday prepared for failure and expecting to spend the day pumping/filling but to my surprise the pool was clear. FC was 36.5 and CYA was 95 so I added a gallon to get to 40. On Monday I added baking soda to bring the PH up that I believe is lowered by the non-chlorine shock. I plan to do an OCLT and see if everything is good. Moving forward I plan to take things slower now that I can trust the SLAM process. Thanks for all the info on this forum to help get me up to speed, still have lots to learn. For anyone new like me planning a SLAM, be careful adding stabilizer as it may take awhile to break down and cause you all kinds of headaches.

Please do not use pool store potions. Non chlorine shock is just going to mess with your FC/CC testing for some time .

Follow the SLAM Process

You cannot follow the TFPC methods without a proper test kit.

Yep understood, my tests are now from my Taylor 2006 salt test kit. It was my understanding that non-chlorine shock affects the CC test and not the FC test, which is still an issue with getting the CC tested as part of the SLAM. The non-chlorine shock was just out of frustration with CYA levels that kept going up without me adding anything. I plan to do a full test of all the levels tonight and tomorrow as part of my OCLT and follow the TFPC methods going forward.

Tested last night:
FC-27.5
CC-0, but may be off due to MPS
TA-? went yellow instead of red, reading up on this
PH-7.2
CYA-90

Tested FC this morning and it was 27. Pool is clear so I think I am good and just monitoring the FC levels as the fall to turn the salt generator on.

No need to test anything but FC during SLAM process.
Be sure to pass all three criteria for a successful SLAM.