Slam questions

It didn't move much on low did it? Was your CC still the same this morning too? What's the water looking like today?

By the way the FC level barely moves with the filter on low I agree that you probably have little choice, but to filter on high the majority of the time to accomplish the goal. The water has to circulate well to get the job done, and if low isn't circulating it enough to get the job done, then high it should be.

As far as the high electric bill, I do understand. I was just there myself from my 1st SLAM. Look at it this way if you can get twice as much accomplished on high for less time than you can filtering on low for double, or in your case, possibly triple, or more the amount of time, it will actually be cheaper to do it that way, and the pool should get clearer a whole lot sooner by doing it that way. :) Also once it's clean and clear, If you keep it properly maintained you hopefully won't have to ever do it again. :) I hope this helps. Have a nice day :).

It didn't move much on low did it? Was your CC still the same this morning too? What's the water looking like today?

By the way the FC level barely moves with the filter on low I agree that you probably have little choice, but to filter on high the majority of the time to accomplish the goal. The water has to circulate well to get the job done, and if low isn't circulating it enough to get the job done, then high it should be.

As far as the high electric bill, I do understand. I was just there myself from my 1st SLAM. Look at it this way if you can get twice as much accomplished on high for less time than you can filtering on low for double, or in your case, possibly triple, or more the amount of time, it will actually be cheaper to do it that way, and the pool should get clearer a whole lot sooner by doing it that way. :) Also once it's clean and clear, If you keep it properly maintained you hopefully won't have to ever do it again. :) I hope this helps. Have a nice day :).

CC was the same. In the morning when I test it is dark so I cannot see what the water looks like.

I have come to the conclusion now that my pump on low speed just isn't enough circulation.

Tested after work today with no change from last night. Switched to high speed while I did all my cleaning...then had to wait out a massive storm that raised the water level to the top of the skimmer and tested again at 17-17.5. CC still 0.5. Still green. I went ahead and added some bleach to keep the level around 18.

Good news I guess I will get to vacuum to waste again tomorrow to get the water level down.

Yeah, it does appear that low isn't going to cut it. Oh yeah, on the "Good News," That's my philosophy about it, ya might as well make the most of a bad situation.
So Vac to waste it is without having to add water after :) Have a nice night, and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

You've mentioned a couple of times that the pool is screened. I wonder if the screening provides enough shade to account for low chlorine loss from sunlight during daytime hours (one of the things that has been puzzling those of us responding to this thread). Do you normally, i. e. before the pool turned green, have very little FC loss over the course of the day?

You've mentioned a couple of times that the pool is screened. I wonder if the screening provides enough shade to account for low chlorine loss from sunlight during daytime hours (one of the things that has been puzzling those of us responding to this thread). Do you normally, i. e. before the pool turned green, have very little FC loss over the course of the day?

Yes, typically very little fc loss. I think I wrote this before but before the green everything was so smooth I used to think it was too easy. I would read here about how much bleach people were using but my usage was nowhere near that and my numbers were always on and the water was great.

I have a very large orange tree on one side of the yard that provides a decent amount of shade to the pool on that side ( can be seen in the original post here.) I suppose the screen could be "shading" enough preventing loss. Aside from the tree though the pool sees sun most of the day.

- - - Updated - - -

This mornings test:

fc 18 after I added some bleach last night and ran the pump on high. I tested cc at 0 though. Dark again but I turned the light on and it's still green.

This afternoon I will have to drain water out after last nights rain as the skimmer is almost completely submerged now. I will take that opportunity to vacuum to waste again.

Thanks crackerjack4u for answering my question.

Blivit79,
Do you have a bottom drain on this pool, and if so, is it being used or is it shut off and just using the skimmers? Just trying to think of good way to increase the circulation to start killing more algae. I realize you may not be getting a big rise in CC because sun may be burning off CCs and FC consumption by sun decreased secondary to the screening and shade but I would think that FC would be falling like a rock killing the algae. Lack of FC consumption to me equates to algae not being killed or not much algae to kill, but green pool and water not clear tend to say that there is a lot of algae so if chlorine level high we are left with poor circulation and/or poor filtration. Also possibly when you increased FC from 23 to 25 without adding chlorine, possibly it was because of poor circulation. I can not think of any other reasons other than mistake/inaccurate testing, but I would expect that at lower FC # not high. I will add a disclaimer, I am very new to this and learning so I may be missing a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks crackerjack4u for answering my question.

Blivit79,
Do you have a bottom drain on this pool, and if so, is it being used or is it shut off and just using the skimmers? Just trying to think of good way to increase the circulation to start killing more algae. I realize you may not be getting a big rise in CC because sun may be burning off CCs and FC consumption by sun decreased secondary to the screening and shade but I would think that FC would be falling like a rock killing the algae. Lack of FC consumption to me equates to algae not being killed or not much algae to kill, but green pool and water not clear tend to say that there is a lot of algae so if chlorine level high we are left with poor circulation and/or poor filtration. Also possibly when you increased FC from 23 to 25 without adding chlorine, possibly it was because of poor circulation. I can not think of any other reasons other than mistake/inaccurate testing, but I would expect that at lower FC # not high. I will add a disclaimer, I am very new to this and learning so I may be missing a lot.

Not a problem. This entire exercise has been a learning experience for me as well. I am still new too as this is my first pool.

There is a bottom drain and I have flow split between the skimmer (1) and bottom drain (1) when I run the vacuum (either auto or manual) I close the bottom.

Filtration may be an issue, not sure but again the pool was never green before. The cartridge itself visually looks in good condition but age is unknown. It is at least 1 year old as that is how long I have owned the house. Testing may be suspect as well but the fc test is pretty easy. Possibly my pool size gallon measurement is off but using 16k has kept fc in check prior to this.

Blivit, based on your last post, I would recommend paying close attention to the following:
- Since your filter is over one year old, consider replacing. I bought mine a month ago n Amazon for half the price the local pool store were asking. :) Filtration is an important part of a SLAM to contain dead algae, but the filter itself doesn't kill the algae - the chemicals (bleach) will do that.
- If you have any doubt about your testing, that should be validated. For example, "if" you were showing CYA higher than what it actually is, then you'll never have the correct FC level to maintain a SLAM.

That still doesn't answer why FC doesn't seem to get expended in that green water. Even in clear water (with sunlight) FC should get used-up. But if you run into any questions about the FAS-DPD tests, please let us know.

Well so much for that idea, when I did my SLAM my FC dropped like a rock and it was hard to keep enough chlorine in the pool and many times would fall below SLAM minimums as I only had access to the pool twice a day as we had not moved in yet and had work to deal with etc.. Despite that my pool went from a cesspool to sparkling clear in a week once I started with TFP. Guess I was lucky. I did not think when your FC went from 23 to 25 without adding chlorine was due to error as you had been doing it effectively and with the higher FC the variation of water amount and droplet size and all the other factors seem to diminish the chance of error so I assumed those readings were correct and the only other thing I could think of was circulation and mixing of the chlorine to explain the rise without the addition of chlorine. I also brushed the pool twice a day and did a lot of vacuuming to waste, the brushing only took 10 min but the vacuuming was a pain in the neck. But I wanted it cleared by the 4th of July and it was. Best of luck.

I have been following this thread and it appears that you are making progress. How often have you been brushing the floor, walls, lights, ladders, etc? Brushing suspends algae off the surfaces and in the water, allowing the filtration system and liquid chlorine to do its job, clearly speeding up the process. Pictures are always a great way of tracking process.

I have taken pictures almost every day, I just haven't posted any as I am usually on my phone when I post.

After the fc drop I added bleach and got it back up to 21 then it dropped again to 18 over the course of today. Pump has been on high only for 3 days now. I sweep everything at least twice per day and I take the filter out and clean it at least once per day now. Bleach was added again this afternoon as I plan to keep fc up slightly above slam level. I did test cya again and it is still around 40.

My frustration level is rather high. The pool is still green. I am putting in so much work on this and seeing little payoff. While it seems somewhat lighter, it is a minimal change at best.

Yeah, I understand that the frustration is probably high, but hang in there because you Will get there. Like you said you've only been pumping on high for 3 days, and I truly think the lack of adequate circulation was the issue in the beginning with your FC level remaining stationary for so long. Now that you are on high it should be full steam ahead, and hopefully your pool will be clean and clear very soon. Hang in there, we are all rooting for you !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.