SLAM progress??

Unckle Brewski

Bronze Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Naples, FL
Am I making progress or wasting chlorine? When I started (10 days ago) the pool was "clear" but SWG would not keep up. Testing with Josh confirmed that SWG was functioning properly. Ordered and received FAS-DPD test kit and started SLAM Below are results.
Sat am
FC=0
CC=?
pH=7.6
TA=115
CH=300
CYA=60
SALT=3300
SAT pm
FC=21.5 CC=.5

Sun am OCLT=3 Brush/Vac
FC=18.5 CC=.5
Sun pm
FC=22 CC=.5

Mon am OCLT=5 xtal clear b4 Brush/vac/brush
FC=16 CC=.5
Mon pm
FC=24 CC=≤.5

Tues am OCLT=2 xtal clear b4 brush/vac
FC=22 CC=0
Tues pm
FC=28.5 CC=≤.5

Wed am OCLT=6 rain
FC=21.5 CC=0
Wed pm
FC=23.0 CC=≤.5

Thurs am OCLT=0 xtal clear b4 Brush/vac/filter
FC=23.0 CC=≤.5
Thurs pm
FC=29.5 CC=≤.5

Fri am OCLT=5.5 xtal clear b4 brush/vac
FC=24. CC=≤.5
Fri pm
FC=26.0 CC= ?

Sat am OCLT=2.0 xtal clear b4 Brush/vac/filter
FC=24. CC=0
Sat pm
FC=26.5 CC=?

Sun am OCLT=3.5 xtal clear b4 brush/vac/filter
FC=23.
CC=≤.
pH=8.0
TA=120
CH=300
CYA=50
Sun pm
FC=26.5 CC=?

Mon am OCLT =1.5 xtal clear b4 brush
FC=25 CC=≤.5
Mon pm
FC=28.5 CC=?

Tues am OCLT=5. xtal clear b4 brush
FC=24.5 CC=≤.5

I was having a problem with dissappearing chlorine b4 the pool was drained to redo light niches. I thought that would be a good thing as all the old nastys would be gone.....I guess not :(
Every brush the pool gets cloudy, however it has greatly improved to the point that today I can clearly see the bottom after brushing.
Pump is running 24/7. SWG is on 100% during the day and off at night.
Shouldnt the OCLT be getting better every day?
Why no high CC results?
Am I on the right track?

Welcome,

You aren't wasting Chlorine during a SLAM, but we don't recommend using the SWG during a SLAM. You wont always have elevated CC as it all depends on how much organic matter is left in the pool, so you shouldn't presume to have them. Just keep at it until you meet ALL the SLAM criteria. You probably aren't too far away from passing, so just keep up the brushing, and don't slack on any detail of SLAM until you pass all of them outlined.

Is it important/essential to keep the FC level from falling below the SLAM level throughout the day (or overnight)?
I usually check first thing in am, around noon, then around 5 and adjust to SLAM level as necessary, with a final check (no adjustment) for OCLT test around 8
So I guess my question is.....should I adjust to above SLAM level to compensate for loss between checks so as to never fall below SLAM level?

If it were me doing it that is what I would shoot for. The less it falls below SLAM value, the faster this will go. So yes, it is very important not to let it drift below target any more than you can avoid.

Ok ...so I'm on day 19 of SLAM. Used 27.5 gl of chlorine so far (i started with a clear pool, but it was eating chlorine)
Still have a clear pool but cant get OCLT to stay below 1. keeping the FC level up to 6 points above SLAM level for my CYA=50. CC always less than .5. Daily brush/vac
Rather than do a 2 page post with daily test results please let me know what you need to see to reinforce that I am on the right track:confused:
Thanks for your encouragement!

Are all of your infloor things working and in pushing water through them? Do you have a main drain? Is it open?

I forgot to open my main drain after I vacuumed. I noticed my water had lost it's sparkle.........hummmmmm why? As soon as I noticed the main drain was close I knew! The water was sitting in the line and getting yucky. I opened it and pushed my FC to SLAM level for a couple of days and the sparkle was back!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 20 Yes...all of the in floors are working and the main drain is open. i had thought about that same concept and have investigated to be sure water flow gets through all areas of the piping.
Last nights OCLT was 1, but it has been 0 before and gone to 5 the next night!
I did recheck the skimmer, as suggested by Mr Bruce and found a small amount of green meanies in a corner. Its not there anymore:mad:

Day 21
FC=19 CC=0 OCLT=0 :D
pH=8
TA=110
CH=400 14 days ago this was 300 Did all the chlorine I have been using cause this to raise?
CYA=25 14 days ago this was 50 No water added No rain Where did it go?? this is a pool store test, however 3 different people ran the test and had the same result.
Salt 3600

Letting the FC drift down to target of +10 based on CYA=25 level. Should I wait until SLAM is complete to begin to raise the CYA level?

Also got an all stainless bristle "algae brush"....WOW.... does that create a cloudy mess! Not green, just cloudy. its only 6' wide ...my arms are ready to fall off

Day 33 of SLAM
Last 13 days of OCLT= 1.0 or less (a couple of 0's!) i have Never had cc over .5
Pool is crystal clear in the morning but as soon as I brush or vacuum it gets cloudy again and stays in "suspension" all day.
i Brush at least once daily with 6" steel "algae" brush (my arms ready to fall off):mad:
Vacuum every other day and clean the filter after vacuum
Filter cart was new 6 days ago
Pump is running 24/7 @ 2750rpm speed
I did an ammonia test = .25 but have no other symptoms of ammonia so dont have a lot of confidence in the test
Do I "stay the course" with the SLAM or can I let FC come down and begin to rebalance everything else while the filter does its job?

I feel your pain. On day 8 and never had to go this long. No CC present but failing OCLT and seeing trace algae (appearance of dirt) in trace areas - only visible along seams, one particular corner and steps. Sweeping 5X day and keeping FC above 25 (stupid me added CYA to get levels over 20 and accidentally went to 55). Have cleaned possible hiding areas. Need to check that floor drain mentioned.

This morning OCLT=1.5!! What the........
Also CYA down 10 in 2 days????? Was 40 now 30 by my testing (repeatedly to insure consistent results)
Ammonia test on salt card =0 on freshwater card= less than .25 more than 0
Off to get more chlorine:(

I have cleaned the skimmer and all around the skimmer repeatedly.
i have sprayed 10% chlorine around/under the perimeter coping and brush daily, both pool and spa
Run the spa circuit and blower
Dont know where it could be hiding ....but thats what make hide-n-go seek fun!
IMG_1978[1].jpgIMG_1979[1].jpgIMG_1980[1].jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.