SLAM instructions?

Thanks; I have the test kit recommended on this site, the TF -100, and I have read the ABC's of Pool chemistry. I was having trouble finding the FC/CYA chart on the site. I think there may be some problems with links. For example, when I go to the pool math link in the left column, I get a page which directs me to the App store version of pool math. I finally got to the real pool math calculating page--not even sure how, but from a link on a different page-- and bookmarked it since I can't get there from the main menu.

Reactions: Razorhog
My tests with the TF-100 show less than 20 for CYA, but I have a SWG system (not turned on yet for the year, way too cold). Should I consider a SLAM to be a FC of 10, which is what the number given for non-SWG pools is? The chart doesn't go down below 60 for SWCG pools. I am just opening the pool, so I've done nothing but adjust pH and an initial shock with about 10 gal. liquid bleach (a wild guess for amount of bleach based on some forums I read before I found the pool math page). My salt level is currently 1110-- does that affect what is needed for a SLAM?

The web based version of Poomath is linked at the bottom of each page in the forum under Quick Navigation.

We are directing folks to the Poolmath app as many of our users are now on mobile devices.

With less than 20 CYA, use the 10 ppm SLAM level now and start dissolving 10 ppm of CYA via the sock method. Then use FC of 12ppm for SLAM. All SLAM level FC are based on non-SWCG levels.

Was your water sample warmed to 70 degrees or above before you did your CYA test?

On the bottom of each page, there is a link to the old web-based Pool Math page. The app is more up to date.

The shock level FC is a function of the CYA, regardless if you have a SWG or not. So, with the low CYA, yes, target 10ppm of FC. Although you should also bump to the CYA up to 30ppm or so to help protect the FC from the sun while in the SLAM.

Last edited:
With less than 20 CYA, use the 10 ppm SLAM level now and start dissolving 10 ppm of CYA via the sock method. Then use FC of 12ppm for SLAM. All SLAM level FC are based on non-SWCG levels.

Was your water sample warmed to 70 degrees or above before you did your CYA test?
My water was not up to 70 when I did my CYA test. Does temperature affect that reading? It was probably more like 60.

On the bottom of each page, there is a link to the old web-based Pool Math page. The app is more up to date.

The shock level FC is a function of the CYA, regardless if you have a SWG or not. So, with the low CYA, yes, target 10ppm of FC. Although you should also bump to the CYA up to 30ppm or so to help protect the FC from the sun while in the SLAM.
Thanks for answering my question about what level FC I should aim for for my SLAM with low salt levels.

As for the app, I can't seem to get it to work on my iPhone. I have set it ip several times, and every time it ends up saying it looks like you don't have a pool configured and wants me to start over. Plus I don't get a page that looks like what I want anyway. After putting in my pool basics, (volume, sanitizer type, and pool surface) it asks what I want to track... and then what reminders I want. When I put in my zip code it gets confused and says it can't locate me. It then asks me which of two locations I want... one is Harvard, (the other sounds polynesian!) so I confirm Harvard, and it reverts to "lets set up your pool, which starts me back at the beginning. What I want is apparently the old pool math page, so I'm glad I can still use it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Myrica
For now you can leave that field blank. All it needs your zip code for is to track the weather as you test. Just turn off the option to track weather and setup as normal. Don’t forget to click the check mark on the upper right hand side once completed.

I’ll also PM you as I suspect there are two locations in the world Accuweather is trying to link your zip code with. After we get you going I’ll work in private to get that setup for ya. ?

My water was not up to 70 when I did my CYA test. Does temperature affect that reading? It was probably more like 60.
It might have some effect. Next time you test CYA be sure the pool water is at 70F or above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.