slam high CC

arbernet

Jul 27, 2019
Atlanta, ga
Lost my water over winter t a leak. refilled pool with a combination of 2/3 well water 1/3 city water.
ware is very clear, no debris
starting point FC 3 CC 13 PH 7.5 ALK 90 CYA 0 PHOS 300 BOR 80
added stabilizer to bring CYA to 80 and borax to get PH to 7.8
started slamming
3 gal 6% bleach
FC 2.5 CC 20
added 3 gal 10% and 1 gal 6%
overnight loss < 1
FC 7 CC 25
should i continue with slam or investigate ammonia?
Weird thing happening when I do the drop test
when I add the powder the sample slowly turns pink to red. after adding 0871 to get sample clear it starts turning pink again b/4 adding 0003. Sample turns bright red as soon as I start adding 0003
repeated the test twice and again with a fresh set of chemicals
K-1000 kit confirms my FC number
i also cleaned my filter and replaced some sand b/4 refilling and have back flushed a few times

I appreciate any help. feel like i am wasting bleach

Good morning. A couple things catch my eye right away. First is that you really aren't following a true SLAM Process otherwise your FC would be closer to 35 per the FC/CYA Levels. The other thing is that you say you increased the CYA, but have you re-tested to confirm? Since it appeared to be zero before, I think that would be a good idea.

Also, are you testing your water with the TF-100 listed in your signature? We know the TF-100 doesn't test some of the items you listed.

Reactions: Mdragger88
thanks Texas
I also have a K1106 phosphate kit and i use borate test strip. I added that to my signature.
Forgot to list that my CYA is now 40.
I think I am following the SLAM process just thinking I have not given it enough time.
according to the chart i should now get a 16 FC for a CYA of 40
Feel like i am chasing

Correct. An FC of 16 is your SLAM goal to maintain. Before doing so though, be sure t lower the pH to 7.2. That's a prerequisite before starting the FC elevation. Once you add chlorine, I would re-test in about 20 minutes with good water circulation. Hopefully that quick interval is only needed on the 1st or 2nd test in this early stage. We want to ensure your FC holds. After that, you might only need to test the FC every few hours and bump it back up to 16.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That level of CC is not natural. The fact FC is holding more than a few minutes means it is not ammonia. A chemical has been added that is showing up as CC. MPS (non chlorine shock) or Sulfamic acid are the two that can cause it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.