Slam help

I don’t know where the drain is.
Okay well, with water that clear you would see a drain if you had one. So I guess we can rule that one out. An algaecide probably won't help you right now. They tend to get consumed by chlorine, especially at SLAM level. I suspect you'll be closing in the next month or so to winterize. At that point it's fine, just make sure to use one that is a Polyquat 60 based algaecide.

I re-read this thread and don't recall seeing anything about the last filter cleaning. Can you confirm when that was last accomplished? Was there anything remotely close to that stuff in the filter?

Oh, to help save you some powder, you can use the 10 ML water sample size. Fill to 10 ML, add just one generous scoop of powder, then mix until clear. Divide result in half. Example: 20 drops equals an FC of 10. The 0.2 method is for precise measuring and you use more powder.

in reguards to the filter. This is a new pool installed in June.
Even though the pool and equipment are relatively new, part of the SLAM Process is cleaning the filter when pressure rises. Perhaps yours never did, unless the pressure gauge is stuck. But given the situation with that unusual stuff collecting at the bottom of your pool, it would be a good idea to look inside to see if there is any unusual material collected.

@Texas Splash those two sets of pictures are from different days? The orientation of the stains looks identical not just similar.
They sure look similar, but the OP says they brush away easily, so we can rule out mineral staining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking before I blow up my pool that I would bring my FC up to 24 overnight. Thoughts?
Ha. No, I wouldn't go to 24. But MA level is 18 (for your CYA of 30) and that should be fine for one day only.

Do you think I need to retest my CYA?
At this point that's probably a very good idea.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Ok so I’m getting CYA 40.
You know what? That means your previous SLAM level of 12 wasn't high enough. Regular SLAM level should've been "16". I wonder if that would explain the recurrence of the green stuff? Something to consider. Up to you, but when you do go up to MA level, I would go to an FC of 22 for 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.