SLAM - Getting the CYA right

Another question. I am just trying to make sure that I am still on the right track. I got my FC up to 16 (CYA is 40) last night before going to bed. I woke up before sunrise and the level dropped to 9ppm. I added liquid chlorine to get the level back up to 16. I tested an hour after putting the chlorine and got 16ppm. I have now waited another 3 hours and tested and my FC is still at 16ppm. Is this normal? the pool is getting lighter green each day and visibility is getting slightly better, but I want to make sure that FC leveling off like this is normal...

That is odd that you would lose so much FC overnight and none during the day. :confused: Is there any chance of a testing error this morning before you had your doctor-prescribed amount of coffee/caffeine? :p

There is always that chance! I will keep monitoring today to see what happens. I am new at this, so that is why I ask. I will test again in an hour. How much FC loss should I expect throughout the day?

During a SLAM is really varies. It might be fairly quick in the early SLAM stages, then scale-back significantly towards the end when the FC is over-powering the last of the algae. In an ideal (healthy) pool with no algae, we see ideal FC usage of 2-4 ppm.

During a SLAM is really varies. It might be fairly quick in the early SLAM stages, then scale-back significantly towards the end when the FC is over-powering the last of the algae. In an ideal (healthy) pool with no algae, we see ideal FC usage of 2-4 ppm.

That makes sense. The first day and hours we were adding quite a bit of chlorine but as we got closer to last evening, it slowed. Hopefully I just tested poorly and I am still on track. Thanks for the info!

Hey guys. Things are going great with the SLAM. I have visibility in the deep end. Almost there. Water in shallow end is very clear. Vacuuming every day getting out the dead algae. I do have a quick question for after the SLAM.

What is the best way to chlorinate the pool? I have an inline chlorinator for 3" tabs, but I am reading that the CYA can get driven up. My CYA is currently 40. Am I better off just having liq chlorine on hand and use that, or tri-chlor tabs?

If I use the tri-chlor tabs, how quickly will the CYA get out of hand? A season? A month?

I would rather not have jugs of chlorine all over the pool house, but I also do not want to push the CYA up.

Every 8 ounce tablet of trichlor that you use will increase your FC by 2.7 and your CYA by 1.7. See the bottom of the Pool Math page "Effects of adding chemicals" making sure to put in your pool volume before using it.

I chlorinate exclusively with bleach/liquid chlorine. The jugs do get to be a pain from time to time, but regular recycling isn't too bad.

Every 8 ounce tablet of trichlor that you use will increase your FC by 2.7 and your CYA by 1.7. See the bottom of the Pool Math page "Effects of adding chemicals" making sure to put in your pool volume before using it.

I chlorinate exclusively with bleach/liquid chlorine. The jugs do get to be a pain from time to time, but regular recycling isn't too bad.

I appreciate the info. My 20,000 gal pool with a CYA 40, would I need about 3 gallons of 10% liq chlorine a week?

It will vary based on water temperature and usage. Right now, I'm going through about a gallon (12.5%) a week, but water is 60 degrees. When I'm in summer mode, water is about 80, it's about a gallon of 12.5% every other day for me. Based on your volume versus mine and a slightly lower % chlorine, 3-4 gallons a week during July and August... maybe September would be close. Probably slightly less May, June and late Sept/October.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.