Slam for Ammonia

Adps85

Apr 8, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
This community is great! And I hope to be able to help others as I learn more! So I do have some experience with pools was the manager of a water park for years and a CPO. However I have never had this issue with ammonia before (water park drain every year!). I started a slam yesterday evening after a sand and lateral replacement.
After reading a lot of post on here and the ABCs of pool chemistry I figured out I had ammonia. My FC would not stay above 0 and I have about 10 of CYA and it would not raise. Plus my CC kept climbing.

Last night I started the slam and have continued all day. I have put in 20 gallons of 12.5% adding every couple of hours. My last reading 2 hrs after adding more was

FC 3.0
CC 4.0
CYA ~10
PH 6.8
Ch 600 (hard to lower because my tap water has 450)
TA 110

My question is do I just keep going with slam? Will it work to remove ammonia if I just stay consistent? Do I need to drain and fill?

DETAILS
vinyl liner chlorine pool
Sand filter
Auto cover
Inground paramount cleaning system
Gas heater
16K gallons
Taylor2006K test

CC will be eliminated by the sun shining on the pool. Be sure your auto cover is open during the day during this process.

SLAM normally takes 7-10 days. With a sand filter, it can take a bit longer as they are slow to clear the pool of debris.

CC will be eliminated by the sun shining on the pool. Be sure your auto cover is open during the day during this process.

SLAM normally takes 7-10 days. With a sand filter, it can take a bit longer as they are slow to clear the pool of debris.
Thank you for your quick replies!
I will keep the pool open during the day to clear CC.
How often should I add chlorine and how much now that it is staying higher? Can I start to stretch it past my method of 2 gallons every 1-2 hrs? Maybe 1-2 gallons every 4 Hrs? I have been dedicated so far! This is just an odd process but I can tell it is working! I will stay the course and switch to liquid chlorine daily!

Test your FC to determine how much chlorine to add. 3-4 times per day at least.
Once you get the CYA dissolving, assume it is in the water and start the SLAM.

The trick is to remain at slam level as much as possible with quicker outcomes. Do not bring up FC higher then slam level as it's just waste. Do get the CYA up to 30 with stabilizer via the sock method. Oh and brush away twice daily. Keep an eye on filter pressure.

How often should I add chlorine and how much now that it is staying higher?
At this point you should be adding chlorine only per testing. You will use pool math to bring the FC back up to the SLAM level as many times a day as you can, but no more often than every hour and no less than three times a day. It's not an indiscriminate addition of chlorine, but a specif amount to bring your FC back to SLAM.

With a CYA of 30 your SLAM level is 12. When you test and find you have lets say 3, add what Pool Math says you need to increase your FC by 9.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.