SLAM/Floccing and a Potential Blind Vaccum. Ingenius ideas needed from the TFP brains trust.

AND when you do go to add the salt make sure everyone has their swim suits on so they can enjoy "Diamond Day"! The salt looks SO pretty as it floats down. The people swimming also helps mix the salt in the water. Don't turn your SWG right away. Wait about 24 hours for is to get mixed in good.

Reactions: Reubzy and HermanTX
AND when you do go to add the salt make sure everyone has their swim suits on so they can enjoy "Diamond Day"! The salt looks SO pretty as it floats down. The people swimming also helps mix the salt in the water. Don't turn your SWG right away. Wait about 24 hours for is to get mixed in good.
Thanks all, do you think it’s worth giving the SWG a good clean before switching on? Looked gunky in there over the past month. Although the chlorine from SLAM seems to have cleaned it up a lot.

Thanks all, do you think it’s worth giving the SWG a good clean before switching on? Looked gunky in there over the past month. Although the chlorine from SLAM seems to have cleaned it up a lot.

Can't hurt to give at all a good rinse with a hose. Avoid descaling with muriatic acid (as described in most manuals), unless absolutely necessary. Muriatic acid, even in a 1:10 dilution, will remove some of the cell plates' Ruthenium Oxide coating which will reduce the lifetime of the cell. If descaling is required, try cleaning vinegar first.

Rog
Can't hurt to give at all a good rinse with a hose. Avoid descaling with muriatic acid (as described in most manuals), unless absolutely necessary. Muriatic acid, even in a 1:10 dilution, will remove some of the cell plates' Ruthenium Oxide coating which will reduce the lifetime of the cell. If descaling is required, try cleaning vinegar first.
Roger that, I did that CYA test this morning and I could t get the logo to disappear, seems my CYA < 30.

I might grab a 2kg bag from Bunnings and add it then retest.

The CYA test is a bugger! Here is how I learned to tolerate it.................GLANCE..........just GLANCE in to see the spot or words or whatever it is you are looking for. Do NOT look for it. Just GLANCE in then look away. Pour from line to line as you GLANCE in. If you "look" for the google eye you will end up seeing it. GLANCE in only! I hope this helps.

Reactions: mgtfp and HermanTX
Yep, that's why we usually recommend the sock method.

One thing to consider is, that CYA is sold in Australia as a fine powder rather than the granules common in the US. As soon as this powder gets wet, it tends to clump together and these clumps become as hard as brick and take ages to dissolve.

I usually fill the powder into a sock and tie it to the end of a stick. While lowering into the water, I immediately start kneading the sock, that prevents the powder from turning into a brick. Then I either hang it in front of a return until the sock is empty. Or I just walk around the pool, pulling the sock on the stick through the water. Like that the powder leaves the sock pretty quickly and gets distributed uniformly around the pool. Some settles on the floor, which disappears quickly with brushing. I'll keep the pump running on high (only skimming, no cleaner running). After a few hours, the CYA usually registered as expected in the test.
Also experienced the Hy-Clor CYA “brick”

Sure, not a problem. Liquid chlorine is as good as SWG - apart from having to lug the bottles home. Would be a shame to waste all of this chlorine.

Start adding salt back whenever works for you. Also no harm in getting the salt in and continue using liquid chlorine for a while.
@mgtfp

Hey mate, any suggestions on a starting Chlorination level (P1 - P8) and time for when I kick off the chlorinator?

I understand I'll need to monitor and adjust, just after an idea of what a good starting point may be. Considering that having a higher FC is typically healthier for the pool and still swimable, wouldn't it be a good idea to say keep FC around 6?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@mgtfp

Hey mate, any suggestions on a starting Chlorination level (P1 - P8) and time for when I kick off the chlorinator?

I understand I'll need to monitor and adjust, just after an idea of what a good starting point may be. Considering that having a higher FC is typically healthier for the pool and still swimable, wouldn't it be a good idea to say keep FC around 6?

I'm running my CYA at 80, and try to keep my FC above 8, most of the time it's between 9-10. If gets above 11 and the weather forecast is cloudy for a while, I might turn the SWG down a bit. If it's sunny, I leave it and it will come down again anyway.

At CYA 60, not going below 6 sounds good. Maybe aim for 8 for now to leave some buffer for things going differently than planned.

I like to run my pump for around 12h in summer. I get a lot of leaves and need to be skimming pretty much non-stop to keep the pool clean enough for my liking. My V35 usually runs between P4-P6 in summer. Your 25 cell might be happy somewhere between P5-P8.

If you watch you FC coming down after the SLAM you'll get an idea how chlorine you need per day. Then you can calculate with PoolMath's effects of adding the required SWG settings.

I'm running my CYA at 80, and try to keep my FC above 8, most of the time it's between 9-10. If gets above 11 and the weather forecast is cloudy for a while, I might turn the SWG down a bit. If it's sunny, I leave it and it will come down again anyway.

At CYA 60, not going below 6 sounds good. Maybe aim for 8 for now to leave some buffer for things going differently than planned.

I like to run my pump for around 12h in summer. I get a lot of leaves and need to be skimming pretty much non-stop to keep the pool clean enough for my liking. My V35 usually runs between P4-P6 in summer. Your 25 cell might be happy somewhere between P5-P8.

If you watch you FC coming down after the SLAM you'll get an idea how chlorine you need per day. Then you can calculate with PoolMath's effects of adding the required SWG settings.
Okie dokie, thanks for the advice.

I've just done new test results:

CYA 70
FC 11
PH 7.6
Salt 4800 ppm

I've set the chlorinator at P6 for 10 hours a day, will monitor to see how it performs. Do you think this is a reasonable starting level? I have the FC at 11 still....as I'm addicted to the shock and the clarity it has given me.

Looks like the CYA/FC chart shows I should aim for 5?

Last edited:
That produces 3.7ppm of chlorine in your 50kl pool. Maybe a bit less, I always think assuming an SWG is 100% efficient is a bit optimistic.

I'd keep FC a bit a higher for now, maybe 7ppm. That gives you a bit of wiggle room should chlorine consumption be higher than expected.

See how FC comes down from 11, turn the SWG one down if too slow, or one up if too fast.

That produces 3.7ppm of chlorine in your 50kl pool. Maybe a bit less, I always think assuming an SWG is 100% efficient is a bit optimistic.

I'd keep FC a bit a higher for now, maybe 7ppm. That gives you a bit of wiggle room should chlorine consumption be higher than expected.

See how FC comes down from 11, turn the SWG one down if too slow, or one up if too fast.
Do you mind explaining how that was calculated mate? Sounds like I can math the exact number

Hey mate, reporting back in after a few weeks. The pool is going great but I am struggling to keep the FC levels up. I have the chlorinated running at P8 (max) for 13 hours a day currently and it’s still falling to 0 eventually. I’m heading to add liquid chlorine to keep it up.

Sorry, I had missed your last reply somehow.

You can calculate the amount of FC that the SWG produces with "Effects of adding" in PoolMath.

If your FC production is not keeping up, then you'll probably have finished the SLAM too soon. Maybe do another OCLT.

Hey mate, reporting back in after a few weeks. The pool is going great but I am struggling to keep the FC levels up. I have the chlorinated running at P8 (max) for 13 hours a day currently and it’s still falling to 0 eventually. I’m heading to add liquid chlorine to keep it up.
Your test of CYA = 70 a couple of weeks back is good. So it must be a combination of pump runtime and SWCG output setting. Can you run your pump longer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.