SLAM/Floccing and a Potential Blind Vaccum. Ingenius ideas needed from the TFP brains trust.

I am too lazy to go back to see if this has been said or done:

-Toothbrush-Get in the pool and use the toothbrush around everything-returns inside the skimmer opening and don't forget the check the weir door in the open. Someone found a small crack in there and there was a whole algae farm inside it. Take out the light and wipe it out as much as you can. Do you have raised steps? If so then brush the underside of them.

-brushing-have you been brushing the whole pool? If not do so.

I would do what ever you need to do to get the FC up and keep it there. Have you done the OCLT as of yet?

Reactions: mgtfp
I have a feeling there’s some residual algae in the pool as I’m running the SWG 18 hours and the FC is slowly dropping now, ever so slowly back to 0.

I’m in a bit of a spot now as the CYA is at a higher level and I’ll need a lot of LC to SLAM up to around 24ppm the pool app is saying. Hopefully it won’t take too long to pass the OCLT.

I’ll start slamming and brushing again 😔

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
full

Could you post a close-up picture of your SWG cell showing the plates inside? Just want to check that you don't have the same issue with wrong plate placement that I had with my cell.

Reactions: kimkats
Could you post a close-up picture of your SWG cell showing the plates inside? Just want to check that you don't have the same issue with wrong plate placement that I had with my cell.
Can do although when I cleaned it there was no method to remove it from the plastic cylinder, it just had me fill the cylinder with 1:10 acid after a hose wash according to the manual. Might be tough to see.

Sorry mate not sure if there’s much you can see from these?

It is a bit hard to see, there is some sort of plastic grid at the end that blocks the view.

There seems to be some sort of sediment in there. Any idea what that is?

How does is look when the cell is running? Bubbles as usual?

It is a bit hard to see, there is some sort of plastic grid at the end that blocks the view.

There seems to be some sort of sediment in there. Any idea what that is?

How does is look when the cell is running? Bubbles as usual?
The residue is basically from the water sitting in it for so long, some light mud residue I think if I could somehow get a rag in there I could wipe it off. I’m not sure how to remove the plastic cylinder around the plates as it seems when I unscrew the end there is no obvious method.

Yea there are heaps of bubbles and it’s a thick opaque colour coming out. I just picked up some liquid chlorine to continue the SLAM, can I run the SWG while I’m slamming to keep the chlorine as high as possible?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The residue is basically from the water sitting in it for so long, some light mud residue I think if I could somehow get a rag in there I could wipe it off. I’m not sure how to remove the plastic cylinder around the plates as it seems when I unscrew the end there is no obvious method.

Yea there are heaps of bubbles and it’s a thick opaque colour coming out. I just picked up some liquid chlorine to continue the SLAM, can I run the SWG while I’m slamming to keep the chlorine as high as possible?
I did just Google this thread mgtfp which suggests that’s not a simple question where you feature heavily!

I did just Google this thread mgtfp which suggests that’s not a simple question where you feature heavily!

Yeah, not an easy one. That's why we try to make it easy by saying to turn the SWG off during a SLAM.

And yes, the mud residue makes sense, considering how your pool looked like at the beginning of the thread. Might be a good idea to open it and give it a good rinse with the hose.

By the way, try to avoid removing scale with muriatic acid (as recommended in the SWG manual) as much as possible. Even diluted it's quite aggressive to the cell plates' ruthenium oxide coating, and each descaling takes some of the coating away and reduces the remaining lifetime.

Best to avoid scaling as much as possible in the first place by keeping CSI slightly negative, or adding borates if that's not enough.

When scaling is required, then try to remove as much as possible manually, for example with an icy pole stick, then try cleaning vinegar, and only when nothing else helps diluted muriatic acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.