SLAM - Does not seem to end

Yes, I forgot to mention backwashing (I have cartridges!). CYA will also degrade over time, but it's pretty slow - typically a couple of ppm per month depending upon temperature and sun.

Backwashing is only necessary when your filter pressure rises 25% over what it reads when clean. A slightly dirty sand filter actually filters better than when the sand is pristine, which is why some people add a little DE to their sand filters.

This is a good fact to know. I checked my CYA this morning and it does appear a little low. I will have to bring that back up.
Its just my wife and I with a baby, so no splash out yet, but I guess the water loss isn't due just to evaporation, but also due to backwashing and rinsing my filter. I supposed i will have to watch CYA closer the more i backwash. How often does everyone tend to backwash their filter, weekly?
My pool is really clear and I haven't backwashed in a couple of weeks, even after adding DE to try and get the rest of the stuff you can see in the light at night out of the pool.

My filter is also probably oversized for my pool, though.

"...to try and get the rest of the stuff you can see in the light at night out of the pool."
I had to chuckle at this. I'm an amateur astronomer and frequent astronomy websites similar to this one. There is a corresponding situation there with folks shining a flashlight down the tube revealing the dust on the mirror.

The fix for both of these is the same -- DON'T LOOK! My OCD can't handle it.

I had to chuckle at this. I'm an amateur astronomer and frequent astronomy websites similar to this one. There is a corresponding situation there with folks shining a flashlight down the tube revealing the dust on the mirror.

The fix for both of these is the same -- DON'T LOOK! My OCD can't handle it.
I know it'll never be perfect, but I can at least get it better. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.