SLAM Cost/Time Expectations?

RQF4

Mar 22, 2022
Magnolia, TX
Hi Everyone,

Very glad to have found the community, y'all have built something good here. Thanks!

I'm a first-time pool owner, in the middle of my first SLAM/ pool opening and just wanted to check in on how my results were matching up with what I should expect. Brief background on the pool; I recently bought the house, but before the sale it sat for over a year with no chemicals (or circulation for long periods), about 8 weeks ago I started skimming a bunch and got the plumbing freed up from frogs and the pump on a schedule again. Then a local company did a "one time cleaning" for $350 which made the pool clear so we could complete the sale. Unfortunately, I let it slip with all the other moving chaos going on, and I'm now a week into the re-start-up/SLAM. But I'm in TX, so not sure I'll really ever 'close', probably just cover a while. I started 1 week ago and within the first 2-3 days the green was gone again but I've struggled to balance my levels and get the water clear. It is still very cloudy. I haven't been brushing as I should probably also. Twice a day the past couple days but just once a few days ago before that.

Anyways, going from a green pool, what should I expect a week into a slam in terms of cost and timeline? Andy guidelines, or rules of thumb? Over the past week I have put in 15 gallons of bleach (10.5%), a pound of Tri-chlor (to try and bost CYA), 4 gal. of 20Be MA, and 4lbs of Dry Stabilizer. The dry stabilizer was put in socks in the skimmer baskets and finished a day ago but there is still no detectable amount of CYA so i added the two pucks today. Probably why I'm going through so much bleach, and I've been struggling to keep up SLAM levels of FC. But, I've also had a few set backs; the pump is messed up so is running more than 12 hours a day, but not 24. One day my sump pump being used to aerate fell over and I lost maybe a couple hundred gallons of high chlorinated water, and then we had a bug rain storm the other night. Anyways, I'm nearing $250 in chemicals and over a week in now, is the end near?!

Oh, the pool guy also pushed a 6oz bag of Sodium Bromide on me, but I haven't put it in yet as I understand that would nudge me towards a 'bromine/bromide pool' and not sure I want to go there yet (maybe it's good to have some?). Also, since I don't have a high CYA problem (the opposite actually) I'm not sure bromides are the answer. He suggested that when I said I was in the middle of a shock and plateaued with cloudy water.... so At this point I'm considering it.

Feeling a little bad, the wife REALLY wanted to swim this weekend with the kids... not looking likely. Cloudiness is my main issue. CC has been settling in to 1ppm lately and I'll do another OLT tonight. I've linked my Pool Math logs, I'll note that I usually test at night when I know my FC is low to guide me in adding someone to sit overnight, so my high concentrations can work overnight, and then burn off the next day unfortunately.

PoolMath Logs

Thanks!
Corey

Edit: Wanted to add that I've been hosing my filter cartridges about weekly and keeping a pretty good eye on the psi there. I'll try and soak them in cleaner this weekend. Also, after making this post I've seen a few more similar topics... and I belive @Texas Splash may have provided the answer just the other day?!

qEdM-duW879aqeg_bRQ1s6DC75MLKv2A52akClJ9kIlREa3HkxJXXUUvZTv6Al8BwDcJhky2OprIB1IzKnnpufjpwd0kSwgc6IDokGFYzfPgZgDSd-eKEmABiGr2yKzzLjwJU72Rj-_1U2Ikd-78u6LmW9_3KnGYVSMNLMYe5WDKp7yLEb4-9hYrJ0DPoJSDI0ObTfRctk7uCkLI3HewFXGKVXH-8Hi31qFWdgbfHXSi58pGCrjn95dheIvgOLaMvFfhTTH9VUoXf5arOsRJtAeCkTIAJsF8VQl1-K0P6D6Wz7AJic3z53f0_nnPVpQrv3FSI8MwZHC9a7ZQVJ8nUnpG5Zn2OeVMzBk0Lloszz4yomE8AXXIYE2oJ8iucCoNv7LTIATNVvRuRPhDyuNFjtOy3SbCaCGW0AWx_S4bWj1xcDRUaEpmrNZKoHnXta1WNeWV2JnzJaVMp2_xOvEjbhsPqRYb_HXeAc4GCijOdIK_SpbQqUR0LZwoshYACMwxHmB7PIQxqxN5dvjMyaZF4WO6Zu9tQyYW8bBvUnwQ-0cdyxn29Gpjhqf_jxek888xu6u5cz3XeneIaGu-6-6U1_qiIt9Qm6ScdRdEsOxGokropEs1UozSdf-mbqNoWYrVlbK5HJsDMYywvjK3PZoCuSBrWzcd5W7z_afi1941hqGk5WR9AzpUTrpQp1uM4l-huC2n5dAUIxqXnearknPuLAjAQhIv9n_y7Wy6MxLEaOdv1AKkuEefVP12R3mXSexhIg5n9aNgNxjK7VwTx2eAotR9_lce8J7io1V3Dg=w822-h1095-no
CS6VnedOprFy1ekUf3sVL_OddJOorRQMSSdTEXjwzo_4oxtCmnGNLapXXB4YruElU5BSreG4iSEBqVtI2F7U5FWF7mkCwHHbaPferuqAZ3jdWR0ib36WcO79CcPPLbex86n-17fvx0JzQt4WHkZi2aUjvGz1GlrGxuaQawgjp1RVin9l-y4WeOpzz_IkjyJAbkonSDhc0hCxon5auHHflcbfPPAy_Z5xncY1L3TK1MAN04mefdt-pnLWyTg0BdKF_nw0XNB-NdN-eUHzK_SZnj1d4nrhAvVvgAPRud0ru_sScCGIGSNhWjmgCVAiA2_qPCo2a5LfxJ7na4WyfJAiZk9ltVJEcJ6HTRmuAI-eEpLrSxOk6vrnYPVAYvTiz7aOd3gMFetHl2Kg9eVHUspgtr5lDMmy7VoclfxJbSIzwXrbaMeN7MlXYrQ_64mWMnzOwo8stkFf4K-DWRut0WKrlwu6IRAkP4rpQWbSDXBk9BWMZWQVRXAujvGSnHMnkhQ4bOcrn0BacAnuFT7Jlwbcs2-fVU8VhGDQt_tVRC6W2KqVk9zcd6BBJAmnurWqeLlEaTOQwOsmjEFG6iPon0DIE1Ju36rVwYELLUkW0wxczwXL7ak6qqRGrfZwiCvTwsAeaNXBDrDF8fkyzqY3Z7crhpy2MO_Tjf22sGEYI58ViFSaBgg1infpx7dwrnK-Ce4uuCdvANmjV2bareDuelkGkVaKY08rwk58_d2HMWSNsk9vXS-F-BbU5nkqXVNTvdoo3shbkIXqV4z6kgOnizpT3Z46O2KFKalb1d3IiQ=w822-h1095-no

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

4lbs of stabilizer will raise your CYA by 16 ppm. You need another 4 lbs at least to get to 30 ppm.

Don’t add Sodium bromide. It will not fix your problems and mess you up further.

Note that pH is invalid when FC is over 10 ppm. Just test FC and CC during the SLAM Process with occasional CYA tests.

Get your CYA up to 30-40 and maintain your SLAM FC of 12 or 16.

Run your pump 24/7 to keep filtering going.

Reactions: RQF4
I'll note that I usually test at night when I know my FC is low to guide me in adding someone to sit overnight
You need to be testing more than once per day. They more often you test and top up FC the faster the SLAM will go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.