SLAM complete

pH isn't measured in PPM, it is just a number.

Soda Ash will raise the pH and TA. Do you need to raise your TA more than just a small amount? If not then no need for baking soda.

Also the appropriate way to add soda ash is to just broadcast it across the pool surface while the pump is running. You can add it any time, but you won't get a good reading of your pH until the FC is below 10 ppm. Be aware it is common for soda ash to cloud the water a bit, the very low pH can sometimes bring calcium out of solution. This is normal and temporary, as long as your FC remains above the minimum then the cloudiness is just from the soda ash.

Thanks for your reply. As the pool is now clear I have been letting the FC level drop out of SLAM level. Tests this morning showed:
FC 9
CC 1
pH 7.4
TA 60
CH 250
CYA 50
Pool math says I can add 750 g of borax to raise pH to 7.6. 375 g of soda ash. Will borax also tend to make the water cloudy? Do I really need to add either?

No, you don't need either. Both your pH and TA look just fine.

But since you asked, borax isn't as powerful of a base so it doesn't cause cloudiness like soda ash can. Either way any cloudiness caused by that is temporary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.