Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello,

I opened my pool on Monday and was treated to a green mess. I brought up my CYA to 30 from 0 and maintained a FC level of 12, checking every 3 hours. After about 24 hours, the pool turned blue, but even now, 6 days later, it is still very cloudy. I have a very oversized DE filter for my pool size, but it jumps from 25 PSI (fresh DE pressure) to 35 in a just under 2 hours. Unfortunately, I have a hard PVC backwash pipe which snapped during the cold winter, so to avoid flooding my equipment pad I have to completely teardown and clean my filter each time. This is becoming unfeasible to do every 2 hours. I can't even vacuum the dirt on my pool floor to waste. Any suggestions? I'd like to clear up the cloudy pool ASAP and am surprised to see no change in cloudiness after 6 days. I am not even losing much FC anymore. Attached is a picture of the water today (the pool is a light gray color). Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,

Pratik.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 10
The joy and curse of a DE filter.

Do you have a MPV? Place in recirculate until you can baby sit and clean the filter. No real magic potions here.

Well is sounds you have transitioned from a live algae issue to a removal of dead algae issue (assuming you kept your FC at SLAM level), so filtration is necessary and/or being able to vacuum any solid material on the bottom. You did not post any info if you did an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test. That would help confirm how much of an issue is still live algae.
Is there any way to purchase a blue baskwash hose from Home Depot and connect that either to the existing broken hard PVC waste line or to run it to another part of your yard or to a drain (assuming that is legal to do for your county).
Also what would it take to repair that broke waste line? Is that doable so you can utilize the backwash capability?

And if you know where the break is in the PVC backwash pipe, get some PVC pipe, a few couplers and some PVC glue - and make it functional again. In the long run, it will make your life easier.

Well is sounds you have transitioned from a live algae issue to a removal of dead algae issue (assuming you kept your FC at SLAM level), so filtration is necessary and/or being able to vacuum any solid material on the bottom. You did not post any info if you did an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test. That would help confirm how much of an issue is still live algae.
Is there any way to purchase a blue baskwash hose from Home Depot and connect that either to the existing broken hard PVC waste line or to run it to another part of your yard or to a drain (assuming that is legal to do for your county).
Also what would it take to repair that broke waste line? Is that doable so you can utilize the backwash capability?
Yes, I performed an OCLT and lost about 1.5ppm FC the last night. So I think by tonight I will pass the OCLT. The PVC pipe broke at a 90 degree joint. I think it was not glued well and the cold temperatures over the past winter caused it to come free. I’m going to buy some PVC cement and try to repair it, but I have not done anything like it before so I am not sure if it will hold. I think I’ll try backwashing hourly once I get the pipe fixed. My filter needs 10 pounds of de every time though, so it’s going to be expensive.

Yes, I performed an OCLT and lost about 1.5ppm FC the last night. So I think by tonight I will pass the OCLT. The PVC pipe broke at a 90 degree joint.
Definitely you need to keep the FC level high if you have not passed the OCLT.
With regard to the broken pipe. Maybe you can post a picture but it may be you can just cut off the "ell" on both sides and glue another "ell" on. It is really not that hard. A picture will help so we can understand the situation better on the broken pipe.

Definitely you need to keep the FC level high if you have not passed the OCLT.
With regard to the broken pipe. Maybe you can post a picture but it may be you can just cut off the "ell" on both sides and glue another "ell" on. It is really not that hard. A picture will help so we can understand the situation better on the broken pipe.
Yes, I was able to repair the broken pipe. I still have to backwash hourly though 🙁. I guess I’ll keep babysitting it until it clears up. Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.