Hays ks
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
We just switched our pool to saltwater. I got my cya to 60 as recommended. My water is crystal clear. Fc is 5 and ph and alkalinity are fine. I really think I have mustard Algae. I have dirt in crevices every morning. I live by new construction with lots of dirt always in air but I still Think this is algae.
My salt water chlorinator says that it has a super coordination mode,
will this slam my pool.?
If I have to slam it can I use The cal hypo shock granuals or will this raise my CYA level...I don't want to get it any higher.

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits. Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water Temperature

Fill our your signature with info on your pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help based on your specific pool without needing to ask you for that info each time.

Recommend you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you need to SLAM Process or not.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Oly
I did the overnight test. Last night my fc was 6. We had a storm last night with .75" of rain. This morning these are my results
Fc 5.5
Cc .5
Ph. 7.8
Ta. 100
Ca 180
Cya 60
Salt 3900.... I know that tie, we're slowly draining. And we feeling to get it down to the 3500.
Based on that I didn't lose any chlorine to indicate algae so I am that sure what all that dirt is in my doesn't go away.

Passing the OCLT is a good thing. :goodjob: Algae should be out of the equation. Yes, your salt level is a little elevated, but not sure it's worth draining water and wasting chemicals. How did you get that salt test result? Was it from a Taylor K-1766? If it was from the SWG itself, it may not be accurate. Even salt testing comes with a variance of ~ 200 ppm, some experience even a higher variance. You may lose some of it to swimming splash-out and possibly backwashing if you have a sand filter. Not sure though since your signature is empty and doesn't show y our equipment.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Passing the OCLT is a good thing. :goodjob: Algae should be out of the equation. Yes, your salt level is a little elevated, but not sure it's worth draining water and wasting chemicals. How did you get that salt test result? Was it from a Taylor K-1766? If it was from the SWG itself, it may not be accurate. Even salt testing comes with a variance of ~ 200 ppm, some experience even a higher variance. You may lose some of it to swimming splash-out and possibly backwashing if you have a sand filter. Not sure though since your signature is empty and doesn't show y our equipment.
Hmm I went to my profile and added all my equipment? Is that the same as signature?
The level was taken from the swg

Mustard algae will often mostly be found in shady areas of the floor & walls. That said, Most people just have regular algae, it comes in many colors/shades.
Passing the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is a good sign that it’s likely dirt. You can also attempt to capture some to see if it is slimy (algae) or gritty (dirt/sand). Also if it poofs away when brushed it may be algae.
You said you just switched to a swg.
Your t9 cell is undersized for your pool volume - the t15 would be a more reasonable size as the pool volume ratings on them are based on running the cell at 100% 24/7. This leaves little wiggle room & means it will reach its 7-10k hour life expectancy more quickly if you get one that’s rated for your exact volume. We always recommend getting a swg rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume if possible for this reason.
If it is too late to exchange it, when the time comes to replace it you should get a t15.
As mentioned above if you do determine that you have algae the answer is the
SLAM Process with liquid chlorine.
Super chlorinate only makes the swg run at 100% for 24hrs or until the pump turns off- whichever comes first.
The max amount of fc your cell can produce in your pool in 24 hrs is around 5ppm - that isn’t nearly sufficient or quick enough for a slam anyway or for most circumstances so using superchlorinate is really hardly ever recommended. If you ever need more chlorine always dose with liquid chlorine first & then set the swg to maintain that.
IMG_6568.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.