Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I'm in the process of SLAMMING after switching from Bromine to Chlorine.

My CYA is about 25 and my target FC is around 12 I believe. All else was balanced prior to start using TF100.

This is an outdoor stand alone SPA. Do I have to wait till the SLAM is complete and FC drifts back to target levels before covering the spa to avoid cover damage?

Is the process the same as for a pool, less than 1 ppm FC drop in 12 hours, <.5 ppm FC and clear? My concern here is the FC drop.

I have an ozonator but don't know if it's working - suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Ahh, ok so it's been drained and refilled? Sorry, I haven't ever used the Ahh Some so I haven't read the instructions. Seems like a drain would be in the process tho, no?

Whatever the case, while SLAMming you shouldn't cover the water so the CC can outgas properly. SLAM is the same though, it's all about water, not size.

Yup, AhhhSome then drained and refilled and balanced. Then slipped up and let FC hit 0. No visible alge, water is clear and no smell. Just wanted to eliminate future problems.
Just tested
FC 11.5
CC .5

Due to the high temperature and ozonator should I expect to be able to maintain a max loss of 1 ppm overnight?

Thanks

Why not test again in a few hours (after dark?) and see what your FC loss is? I'm not sure about the OCLT with the spa up to temp so I'm not going to say for certain, but I would expect the same for spa as pools. I treated my spa the same as my pool and had expected results.

I'm a new spa owner, and using chlorine for sanitizing. Interested to get feedback on the question posed above but not answered - what is expected FC loss per day for a healthy spa?

30ppm CYA, pH in the 7.4-7.6 range, TA at 50ppm.

I'm a new spa owner, and using chlorine for sanitizing. Interested to get feedback on the question posed above but not answered - what is expected FC loss per day for a healthy spa?

30ppm CYA, pH in the 7.4-7.6 range, TA at 50ppm.

I'm fairly sure the average chlorine loss is the same as for pools which is roughly ~50%.

Have you seen this?

I'm fairly sure the average chlorine loss is the same as for pools which is roughly ~50%.

Have you seen this?

Yes, I've read through the post and I'm following that method. Didn't see anything about expected chlorine loss though, and just trying to gauge normal. I've read some posts that indicate chlorine usage will be higher because of the high temperatures in the spa.

I'm not convinced of that, personally. A spa with no bodies for a day seemed to lose same per day as would a pool. But put 2-4 bodies in the amount of water in a spa, as compared to a pool... sure it's going to lose more chlorine. I expect you'll figure out what your spa does depending on what *you* do once you test/dose and use it for a week or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I am thinking of going the other way, from chlorine to Bromine so I can still use cheap floaters and not have to tend to the tub every day. The tub came with a frog floater and I added additional bleach about every other day and it actually works well... But I ain't paying for that expensive stuff that I never thought had enough FC. I should change the water soon but I have only used it a couple of times in the last month because it's been over 105F here in the day for 30 days out of the last 45, so it has seen extremely light bather load.

I figured that I will change it when we fill the pool though I might have to do it sooner.

But can you tell me what was bad about using Bromine? I can obviously do chlorine, especially when I start taking care of a pool daily. As it is the last of the frog just got used up so I am adding bleach daily now...

But can you tell me what was bad about using Bromine? I can obviously do chlorine, especially when I start taking care of a pool daily. As it is the last of the frog just got used up so I am adding bleach daily now...

I can't really answer since I only used a bromine pool once... But I can tell you that bromamines are particularly heinous. Went in a friend's landlord's spa once, it didn't smell great but I was a little inebriated... Woke up the next day with bromamine hair. I didn't even dunk myself.

Said disgusting stanky hair would NOT go away for close to 2 weeks. And I got to smell it full time till it finally did. I tried all kinds of things. Vinegar and baking soda, tea tree shampoo, swim shampoo, etc. Washed my hair soooo many times. Nothing worked.

If you think chloramines smell bad... you don't want to try bromamines.

Thanks for that link, that's very interesting. I have a Bromine pool and since it is indoors, it has been easy to maintain. However, reading the following proposed changes to the labeling of Sodium Bromide says:

Label Amendments for Products Containing Sodium Bromide with Swimming Pool and Spa Uses:
  • Add the following to the PRECAUTIONS section:
    “Do not use this product with an electrolysis device (for example, a chlorine generator).”
    “Do not use this product with ozonation.”
    “Do not use this product with ultraviolet (UV).”

That last point about UV. Does the sun's UV rays count in this, or are they talking about something else? My indoor pool does get a lot of direct sunlight, so I'm sure it'll be getting UV rays too. Should I be concerned?

To clarify how I maintain my pool. It was already a Bromine pool when I purchased the house a few months back, so I kept it the same. I almost exclusively use liquid chlorine to regenerate the Bromine. I have some Bromine tablets that I use when I'm not able to tend to the pool daily. I don't have any SWG, Ozonators or anything associated to UV running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.