Skip Pool Opening for a Year

Jul 22, 2018
Airmont, NY
Due to my schedule I will not have time to properly maintain my pool this year so I plan on just not opening it at all - no chemicals, no circulation (I put my pump/motor indoors for the winter), porous mesh safety cover stays on.

Can I cause any damage by not doing any cleaning for another year? Will I regret this next summer?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

We know nothing about the type of pool you have, how it was closed, or what the current condition is to comment.

We see abandoned pools brought back to life so your pool should not know if it was closed for 12 months or longer. The longer the pool is closed the more chance you have of repairs being needed when you open it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I've always heard that it's really bad for a plaster pool to sit ununsed during a hot summer season, though have no direct experience since I've never done it. Can't speak to vinyl since I've no experience with that either. It's generally suggested here to not even close a pool till the water temp is somewhat lower, and the same for opening - not waiting till the water temp is too high following the winter. The big concern, of course, is unchecked growth of algae and whatever else from the water remaining stagnant for so long. I personally would be very hesitant to leave a pool sit, covered, during an entire summer.

Due to my schedule I will not have time to properly maintain my pool this year so I plan on just not opening it at all - no chemicals, no circulation (I put my pump/motor indoors for the winter), porous mesh safety cover stays on.

Can I cause any damage by not doing any cleaning for another year? Will I regret this next summer?

Any comments greatly appreciated.
My first thought is mosquitos! 🦟

Reactions: magiteck
Algae can be cleared from swamps. Algae is not an issue with closed pools.

In that case, what would be the problem with keeping it closed? Always heard that it can harm the plaster to just let it sit idle during an entire season (?)

Well you didn't hear it here. Ask the people who you heard it from.

As long as the plaster is underwater it does not matter if the water has algae. It will just take a bunch of chlorine to clear up the algae and any staining when you open the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would you still need to monitor pH/CSI?

Not really. The water will reach a natural equilibrium with a pH in the 8's. The CSI will not be aggressive. Depending on the CH level there may be some scale buildup. That is just another possible cleanup when the pool is opened.

Whatever the equilibrium pH is the water is already there now.

That is why I said we don't know how the pool was closed to comment on it now.

Reactions: Shirker
+1. We’ve already seen many ‘I bought a house and the pool wasn’t used for years’ threads this season.

The equipment is stored safely inside. It’ll be a swamp when the time comes but we can clear just like any other day ‘at the office’ here.

Tx to all who replied. Been traveling, sorry for not responding...

In ground, 20 X 40 vinyl pool. Covered with a mesh safety cover since last Sept. Added algecide & chlorine when closed at that time. When I open it in June I first run the filter for about 2 weeks while adding bleach. That cleans up the water but lots of Crud on sides & bottom. I expect I will see much more dirt & algae to be cleaned next year if I skip this year, just worried about any damage that might be caused by not opening this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.