Skimmer Water Level Difference

Ck91

Jul 16, 2021
Memphis, TN
Going through a number of tests for a leak detection, one of the things i noticed is that my water level is a little lower on my shallow end skimmer vs the deep end skimmer (main drain area). Lower in terms of measuring the water level with a tape measure relative to the skimmer opening size. Is this normal or an indication of something or did they just misalign the skimmers? I believe I am on a higher water table which is why there is a sump pit installed if that matters. With all this being said also going forward when keeping an eye on proper water level should i then be focusing on the shallow end skimmer? TIA

Last edited:

When they built your pool, they most likely did not install the two skimmers at exactly the same level.

It is possible that one end of the pool has sunk or raised up, but you should see obvious signs of that happening,

I would focus on keeping the skimmer with the lower water level in the middle of the tile line.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Got it. OP and I have vinyl pools. I don't have a tile line through middle of skimmer. Now I wish I did... :ROFLMAO:
Not a lot of vinyl pools in Sacramento area for some reason. On the ones that I saw, I believe there was a mark/line/arrow indicating proper water level. After insurance companies here refused to offer liability coverage on them we all stopped working on them. Even the equipment on recommendation of insurance broker.

Reactions: Lake Placid

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put painters tape to mark the skimmer water levels so i can complete a 24 hour bucket test.. Today the results showed that the deep end skimmer and the bucket happen to be about the same amount of water loss, however the shallow skimmer had lost about 1/8-3/16 more water. Any thoughts on identifying a leak with these results?

I put painters tape to mark the skimmer water levels so i can complete a 24 hour bucket test.. Today the results showed that the deep end skimmer and the bucket happen to be about the same amount of water loss, however the shallow skimmer had lost about 1/8-3/16 more water. Any thoughts on identifying a leak with these results?
When you perform a bucket test you’re comparing the level of the water loss inside the bucket relative to the water line level on the outside of the bucket. I think what you’re seeing is error in translation of the measurements. If you’re dealing with a single body of water shallow to deep end, it‘s not possible to have a shallow end leak and not have a deep end leak.

Edited to add: Water seeks true level. When draining your pool, you would notice the shallow end would appear to shallow out or drain faster than the deep end because water runs downhill. In reality the water is remaining at its own level across the entire surface, but appears to be draining faster in the shallow end than the deep end. If your shallow end skimmer doesn’t fill as full as your deep end skimmer, it is set at a higher elevation relative to the deep end skimmer.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.